David PriceWelp, that didn’t take long.

David Price has signed a 7-year, $217 million contract with the Boston Red Sox, according to Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe.

(oh my that was tough to type)

The $31 million average annual value is the largest ever for a new contract. With two years remaining on his old contract in 2014, Miguel Cabrera signed an 8-year extension that is also worth $31 million per season.

Price can opt out of the contract after three seasons, according to Ken Rosenthal.

Now, about that drink…

1. Woodrow744 says:

Ton of money, David…I think you'll be reminded of your salary a lot up there. $1 million per start is awfully good money, but those fans will be on your a** during every loss you suffer. Smart choice with the opt-out clause!

• Geoff Peterson says:

Why would he opt out? I don't see anyone offering a 33 year old pitcher $31 mil + a year for 4 years unless he has 3 stellar, injury-free years. He's best to take the guaranteed money and let them trade him or cut him if that's what they want to do.

• Woodrow744 says:

Simply put, at that point he has accumulated almost $100 million from the contract and can decide what his options are. Maybe he is a Beantown hero - great, stay the course. Maybe he is something less. Perhaps the Fenway faithful are throwing batteries at him. The opt out clause is nothing less than smart, especially in that market.

• Geoff Peterson says:

I'm not saying the opt out is bad just that I doubt he would do so and leave $124 mil on the table that Boston would have to pay him and he would unlikely find elsewhere at that age. He'll let Boston deal him or cut him if he underperforms.

2. BucFan says:

Nauseating.

3. Ken says:

Hmmm...a lefty fly ball pitcher in Fenway? Good luck with that. I predict a 16-14 year. I wish David well but do agree with Woodrow, the 3 year opt out was wise. Boston fans area vicious bunch.
    On a general note, 30+ million for a 30 year old pitcher might wash, but will he be worth that at 34 or 35?
    I still maintain that we got hosed by Boy Wonder Friedman on Price trade. Adames better start rising fast or the move appears to be a bust.

4. Rob says:

The Red Sox will regret this in 3-4 years - maybe earlier, and I am happy about that. These deals rarely, if ever, work out for the benefit of the team.

• Brent says:

"As we've seen, almost all $100 million-plus contracts to pitchers don't end well: Kevin Brown, Mike Hampton, Johan Santana, Barry Zito, Lee, CC Sabathia, Matt Cain. The early returns on Justin Verlander's $180 million deal haven't been good. We'll see what happens with Scherzer, Lester, Felix Hernandez, Cole Hamels and Masahiro Tanaka"

5. Brent says:

I hate to say this, but I hope he becomes as miserable as Crawford did there...

6. Gus says:

Dave Domborski is good at spending other people's money, not sure he is good at much else.

The BoSox are now the 1980s Yankees -- reshuffling things constantly, occasionally winning but more often disappointing everybody but MLB players and their agents.