MLB: OCT 10 Red Sox v RaysOn this date in 2005, Stuart Sternberg took control of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, and while the Rays won’t be in the postseason this year, what a heckuva 10 years it has been

The first thing Sternberg and his partners did was to buy out the final year of Lou Piniella’s contract for $2.2 million. They later hired some unknown bench coach named Joe Maddon. Three years later, the Rays were in the World Series.

*Raise the glass* To Mr. Sternberg and the rest of the Tampa Bay Rays…Cheers, may the next 10 years be just as great.

1. edward says:

I will say it has been interesting, and somewhat fun. I feel though that the last 3 years or so , mostly the last 2, it seems that the ownership has been somewhat in the giving up mode, if that is the right way to say it. Not that they don't care just that it seems to me that because of all the excuses of attendance being bad and maybe the thing going on with the stadium they seem to be in the mood, "well nobody else cares so why should we". Maybe I am wrong and I hope I am, but that is my opinion , if I am wrong please tell me. Hopefully next year will be different but from what I hear and read it won't be, the payroll is suppose to go down again. Maybe they will surprise us, heck they have done it before. GO RAYS!!!!!

2. Ken J says:

I don't think the owner wants to do anything to improve attendance. The dismal attendance figures gives him the leverage for whatever they are planning( new stadium, new market, league approval ???)
    What are the promotions for the weekday games. Two for one general admission seating, dollar drafts or reverse the policy and give a three dollar discount to walkup customers three hours before the game instead of adding it on. Increased attendance is not going to attain what they want. !

• Clueless Moran #2 says:

Your comments are right on target. Stu's playing "silent" hard ball with St. Pete.

3. Gus says:

Off season journalism assignment desk:

1. Instead of snarky comments about the "gatherings" at the Trop to describe attendance, perhaps Mr. Topkin and the Times should look at what the Rays are doing in the off-season to actually sell season tickets, packages, group sales, etc. It is clear to most of us that they spend no effort in that arena because they choose the narrative that the stadium location is the problem. If you have no season ticket base, you are going to have nobody come to weekday games in September that don't mean anything. Especially when you price single game tickets aggressively.

2. What is the status of the TV contract? isn't that up this year? All other teams seem to sign those contracts before they sign. I don't think they are going anywhere in the next decade, however, the lack of a long-term TV deal makes me worried.

3. The young offense; I know you have to discount some for tired arms and young pitching, but the Rays offense after the philosophy change actually has me more excited about the on-the-field prospects of this team than anything in a long while. You have to figure out SS. I liked Cabrera, but think you might have to go young here and roll the dice. Other than that, this team has some nice young bats ready for next season. Guyer-Kiermayer-Souza is in many ways the recreation of the Upton-Crawford-Delmon OF that SI featured 10 years ago; albeit a bit older. Souza even has a Delmon-like temper it seems and gets called out looking in Upton-esque fashion all too often, but has crazy power like BJ. All three can run and play good Defense.

• Andrew says:

It always seemed odd people were calling Downtown St Pete an undesirable location for the Rays, yet other articles always seem to mention Downtown St Pete being popular with the younger generation with bars, restaurants, etc. Yet it doesn't seem like the Rays are marketing much to the crowd over there to go to the games.

Kinda different from the lightning and downtown tampa trying to take advantage of the area and build around it to be something nice in a few years.

• Rob says:

I think they should convert many of the seats into gathering areas from where you can peek at the game and make the Trop a social destination with baseball as the backdrop. I think this would bring in the more casual/modern fan. They should up the ante on the food, too. With all of the buzz around St. Pete becoming more of a foodie destination and the bar scene exploding downtown, the Rays should join the trend and charge a small "cover" to get into one of many areas that is standing room only or with first-come, first serve general seating. More and more people I go the games with are more interested in drinking and socializing than they are in the game itself - they just so happen to be at a game. I think the Rays should take advantage of that and start marketing to the millennial types.

• Andrew says:

It also seems to come down that Stu won't live in the area or care to grow the area around the stadium like the plans Vinik has. Disappointing because as much as I enjoy hockey, I've always enjoyed baseball more.

When I worked in DT St Pete for about 8months back in 2010-2011, I could see that it was getting nicer and the potential was there with the younger people there to have something nice.

• Rob says:

I am looking forward to seeing what Mahtook can do. The kid can mash and he's got great upper body strength.

• Gus says:

Forgot to mention Mahtook in my future OF. Had a great September. He feels like a guy you can win with. Finally a few hitters from the Friedman drafts are percolating up through the system.

• edward says:

great comments agree with everything. For some reason the press in this area won't "slam" (for lack of a better word) stu and the rest of the ownership here. Maybe after todays press conference it will change, matt had said something to the effect that the rays are below the top 10 in payroll which is an average of 100 million and that they realize that. Now I read that on twitter so I don't know if anybody did a follow up on it. My question is this than, why would anybody want to build a stadium for an owner who doesn't want to spend the money on his team. The press and fans in this area, and the radio guys all hammer the glazers , even when they spend the money, but stu seems to have this shield around him. Now I really am tired of hearing about how they went to the world series and had so many winning years, well so did the bucs, except the bucs won the super bowl. As for the stadium being in st.pete, I saw an article in the times last week where some guy made a drawing of how they can build up st pete with a new stadium, I though it looked good ,but he said the rays won't look at it, because of something having to do with mlb. It is time that st pete council and the rays got together and did something, I really believe that it is causing more problems with the attendance when it looks like both the city and ownership just doesn't care. As for marc tompkin, and this site, the remarks about the attendance constantly is getting old, now I know I am talking about it but that is for this discussion, but everyday in the paper when the rays are home there is a snide remark , and god forbid if there is over 20,000 it's not because of the rays it's whatever give away or concert there is. Ok I'm done lol. Hope everybody has a safe off season and GO RAYS !!!!

4. edward says:

ok since at the moment I have nothing better to do, I decided to do a google search on the rays payroll over the 9 years, I believe stu bought the team in 2006 or 2004 I can't remember anyway, since 2006 the payroll has only been over 70 million 3 times, 2010, 2014,2015 . in 2006 it was 35 million in 2007 24 million in2008 43 million, 2009 63 million, 2010 71 million, 2011 41 million, 2012 64 million, 2013 57 million, 2014 77 million and finally 2105 it was 76 million. What does this all mean, well not real sure, because it seems to be all over the place, and every year he complains about not being able to sustain the payroll. Now the attendance isn't the greatest I admit that , but in 2008 , 2009, 2010 they averaged 22,000, 23,000 and 22,000. each year the payroll went up some, but than in 2011 it dropped to 41 million. So what does that tell us, first that we have a cheap owner, almost as bad as the original, yes the record has been better, but what it he did spend some more on a big bat or two, maybe there would have been another world series in there, and maybe just maybe more fans would go to the park. I have the numbers for the attendance throughout the years and if anybody wants them I will put them on, soooooo, he wants a new stadium and I am ok with that, but why would an area want to put money into a stadium when the owner wont put money into the team. If I remember correctly the biggest free agent that they signed, besides loney, was pat burrell. I think it is time that the media in this area starts putting pressure on the ownership here, not the fans. Oh according to forbes, take what you will from it , the rays where worth 625 million dollars at the beginning of the season. That is a pretty good investment. One last thing, I am not against anybody wanting to make money, and I believe they are, just don't cry poor mouth every season. GO RAYS