Evan LongoriaEvan Longoria was a guest on ESPN Radio’s “Mike & Mike” show on Friday for a segment in which he was asked to pick the winners of some upcoming NFL games. But before that, Longo was asked about the MLB playoffs.

Longoria was asked if he had any insight into why the first four playoff games had all been won by the road team. After babbling on a bit about how the Rays tend to play better on the road in the playoffs in recent years and in the regular season this year — OK, a little bit of a stretch to compare home regular season game for the Rays to the first playoff game in Toronto in 23 years, but let’s go with it — Longo dropped this little nugget:

“I don’t know. I’ll be honest with you. I haven’t really watched one inning of the postseason … I was at the Lightning home opener last night, so I chose the NHL over watching playoff baseball last night. I enjoy playing the game a lot more than I do watching the game, let’s just say that.”

This is not an unusual stance. Many of us, if we had to work a job six days a week for 7-8 months, with half those days spent away from home, the last thing you would want to do is go home and watch that job on television. Of course, baseball is different, but players often need that detachment.

Still, it is a little interesting that Longo didn’t say he needed a break. He is pretty much just saying he doesn’t enjoy watching the sport. That is pretty damning for an industry that always gets skewered this time of the year when their national TV ratings struggle. If those who supposedly love the sport the most and make the most money don’t enjoy watching the sport, why should the casual sports fans?

1. Gus says:

If those guys had a clue, you think they'd ask him why David Price gets lit up by the Rangers in the playoffs. Since Longo's playoff dreams were doomed by Price's bad playoff starts, he might have something to say there.

2. Karen spomer says:

I think it's the same for most people, you'd rather be doing something you enjoy and are good at,then watch someone else do it.

3. Brent says:

Watching this years playoffs is like watching Rays baseball...
    I watched Scott Kazmir (and Chad Qualls) pitch against Zobrilla, then Wade Davis came in relief.
    Sean Rod is fighting JoaMah & Dave Martinez's bunch w/ F.Rod in the middle playing peace maker.
    Price pitching, though Navarro wasn't catching, Chirinos was, then Gimenez did, while being backed up by Bobby Wilson for the Rangers.
    Then ole' Carl Crawford hitting, Peralta & Jp Howell pitching w/ the Dodgers.
    So if we still them would we had made the playoffs instead?

4. Jack Airey says:

I have a personal perspective about watching sport you played. I played 7 years of competitive basketball and to this day I do not enjoy watching basketball on TV. IMHO it is best watched live. TV does not do the sport justice. Basketball is not a half court game. Neither is baseball.

5. Starmand says:

About TV.

Read that USF is considering putting up for auction its TV station.

Wondering if the Rays will consider getting in on the action. Instead of a new deal with Fox.

6. Rob says:

He should try watching the Rays almost get no-hit three times in a week. He'll never watch baseball again.

7. wes says:

how about this trade. Matt Moore and Brad Boxberger for Carlos Gonzalez(Rockies), a decent prospect and $20 million. The Rockies need controllable pitching and may be enticed by 3 years of Moore's upside which he showed in his last 6 starts i believe. Boxberger and the prospect are negotiable and we could change out Karns or McGee for the right prospect and or salary relief. The Rays get that masher to slot behind Longo for 2-3 years and sell high on Moore and Boxxy.

• Starmand says:

The 2015 edition was a better hitting team in part deux of the season due to the discovery of the "see the ball, hit the ball" conundrum. Even though the team's record was better during the first half, where the idea was "get two strikes and Heaven help you".

Regardless of the final active roster for 2016, the next discovery should be the "some guys hit better in the 2nd slot than in the 7-hole" conundrum. For example, Longoria was a better hitter in the 4th slot than in the 3-hole.

That's the structure of the batting order that I'd like to see. For a team that relies so much on metrics, I wonder why they haven't figured it out yet.

• OriginalTom says:

I agree Longoria should bat 4th but the numbers for his career when batting 3rd vs. 4th are actually much closer than I thought. Carreer OPS .846 when 4th vs. .807 when 3rd and most of the differnce can be explained by BABIP.

I am intrigued by your "some batters hit better in the 2 hole than the 7 hole metrics." Where can these metrics be found?

• Starmand says:

Search by player and you will find that with some, the difference is remarkable.

• OriginalTom says:

A Couple of problems I have with this.

1) Could be a self fulfilling prophecy. They put a guy in the 2- Hole when he has an excellent match up against a particular pitcher but move him down when the match up is not so good.

2) They move players up in the order when hot and down in the order when cold.

3) Sample sizes are small.