USATSI_8607349_154511044_lowres

Angels 6, RAYS 2 (boxscore)

The Rays made a series of moves after last night’s game. Andrew Bellatti went on the DL (shoulder tendonitis), Preston Guilmet was demoted to triple-A, and backup catcher Bobby Wilson was put on waivers (designated for assignment). Taking their places on the roster, the Rays promoted three pitchers, Matt Andriese, Enny Romero, and CJ Riefenhauser. Andriese will start tonight’s game against the White Sox.

The big news here is that this leaves the Rays with just one catcher on the roster for at least one game unless another move is made today. While Jake Elmore can serve as an emergency catcher, it is not ideal. Elmore has played catcher for a total of 5 innings as a pro, 1 inning in double-A back in 2010 and 4 innings with the Astros in 2013.

Some have suggested former big league catcher JP Arencibia, who is currently at triple-A Durham and is hitting OK, if not great (.224 AVG, 10 HR in 43 games). Arencibia has been exclusively a first baseman and DH with the Bulls. He has not played catcher since last September and has only been behind the plate in 2 games since May 16, 2014. At this point, Kevin Cash serving as player/manager seems more likely.

THE GOOD: Steven Souza hit his 6th home run in the last 16 games. On the down side, Souza is still just 10-55 (.182) in those 16 games…Nice throw here by Kevin Kiermaier, who has struggled with his throws sailing up the third base line this year. But did you notice what he did? Kiermaier didn’t fix his throw. He just changed his aim. He is the baseball equivalent of a weekend golfer with a terrible slice. Instead of fixing the slice, the golfer just aims way left and hopes for the best. That’s Kiermaier right now.

THE BAD: Rays pitchers are going to be happy to see the Angels leave town. In 6 games against the Angels this season, Mike Trout and Albert Pujols have combined to go 19-51 (.373) with 8 home runs including 2 more last night. In fact, those 8 HRs represent 14% of the 59 home runs allowed by Rays pitchers this season.

THE TELLING: Entering last night’s game, the Rays had allowed 2 runs or fewer in 30 of 60 games. This has NEVER happened before in the AL during the DH era (since 1973)…The Rays are now 32-29, 2.0 games behind the Yankees.

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• “How Chris Archer’s Slider Made Him an Elite Pitcher.” [NumberFire]
  • DOWN ON THE FARM [boxscores] Everett Teaford gave up 1 run in 6 innings in Durham’s 6-3 win. JP Arencibia hit his 10th home run in 43 games for the Bulls…Montgomery beat Pensacola 6-1 with Boog Powell going 2-3 with a walk…Willy Adames was 0-3 in Charlotte’s 4-3 loss but walked twice and stole his 4th base. Dayron Varona remains hot, going 2-5 with a pair of doubles…Casey Gillaspie hit his 13th home run in Bowling Green’s 8-0 win. Justin Williams added his 6th home run.

A t-shirt company made some MLB logo Ts based on each team’s area code. Here is what they used for the Rays, who haven’t been the Devil Rays since 2007 and haven’t played in 813 since, well, since never.

6-11-2015 9-08-54 AM

Tags

1. Matt says:

Casali seems much more likely, since he almost made the team out of camp. Still, he's pretty poor offensively, only hitting .206/.326/.348 in Durham. Kansas City did DFA their backup yesterday, Erik Kratz. He has some decent pop in his bat, and has a lifetime .400 slugging % for his career in the majors. He also is supposedly a pretty solid pitch framer. Wouldn't hurt to take a flyer on a guy like him.

2. Rob says:

I pitched and played first base in high school, but every once in a while I would fill in at SS. My throws to first looked exactly like KK's there and my coach told me it was a combination of throwing from a 3/4 slot and short arming the ball. But, because I knew it would happen I would do the same thing and aim a little to the left of the first baseman's glove (got pretty accurate with it too). Once, while playing SS for my company's softball team, I threw over to first like that and got some pretty significant break and the first baseman said, "I'm not playing first if he's playing short. That damn throw is going to end up hitting me in the face."

3. edward williams says:

maybe its me, but has anybody thought about looking at what the training staff is doing, it seems to me that maybe they need to change a few things, or maybe it is the way the players are working out, I have never seen so many pitchers , primarily , go down like this. Interesting.

• Geoff Peterson says:

It's the same group as always and the Rays have always been REALLY lucky in the dearth of pitching injuries. I think the good luck for so long may be catching up to them all in one season.

4. Geoff Peterson says:

Great fail by the t-shirt company. Even if they fix it, the tee shirt dimensions look to be 2-3 inches shorter than a typical men's well made shirt. I guess this is where the unisex moniker comes in. I don't think I'd sink a lot of money investing in this mess of a company.

5. Starmand says:

Heard K. Cash singing this morning:

When a man's an empty kettle
    He should be on his mettle
    And yet I'm torn apart
    Just because I'm presumin'
    That I could be a human
    If I only had an offense

I'd be tender, I'd be gentle
    And awful sentimental
    Regarding love and art
    I'd be friends with the sparrows
    And the boy that shoots the arrows
    If I only had an offense

Just to register emotion, jealousy, devotion
    And really feel the part
    I could stay young and chipper
    And I'd lock it with a zipper
    If I only had an offense

That's sweet...

6. Dave L says:

So theoretically anybody on the coaching staff wearing a uni can run out there and enter a game at any time? How does that work actually? I never thought about it before. I was in college when Rose did it and I never thought about the details. Does Cash take BP sometimes or at all?

The tell tale sign would be Cash actually wearing a standard jersey with a number on it instead of that pullover thing he prefers.

• Geoff Peterson says:

Not allowed. You have to be on the active 25 man roster to play in a game in addition to be under contract as a player with all the union protection that is involved. To add cash they would have to drop someone from the 40 man roster leaving that player unprotected. If memory serves me, Cash wasn't that great even as a backup so I think a move tomorrow is imminent.

7. Josh says:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that 813 is Tampa's area code... 727 is the area code for St. Petersburg (the actual city the Rays play in)... just seems sloppy :/