Nathan KarnsThe GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.

Cleveland 7, RAYS 1 (boxscore)

THE GOOD: Remember those days when the best thing we could say about a game was that the Rays weren’t no-hit? Seems like only yesterday. In fact, it was yesterday. And it was also 6 days ago. For the second time in a week, the Rays did not get their first base runner until the 7th inning…At least there is Grady Sizemore who broke up the perfect game with a home run. It is just 2 games but so far he has shown he can be productive.

THE BAD: The biggest loser in all of this is Nathan Karns. In his last 12 innings (13 innings if we include the final inning 2 starts ago) he has allowed 2 runs and gotten exactly 0 runs and 0 base runners in support.  Yes, base runners. The good news is that Karns has pitched really well recently. In his last 4 starts he has allowed 4 runs in 23.1 innings (1.54 ERA) with 24 strikeouts and 7 walks…And yet, somehow, in all of that awfulness, including a 13-to-3 difference in number of hits, the Rays were still only down 3-1 in the 9th inning. That is, until Ronald Belisario tried to intentionally walk a batter.

THE TELLING: As expected, Matt Moore will start Thursday…Jake Odorizzi will make his first rehab start on Thursday with Charlott is only expected to need 1 or 2 rehab starts (per Roger Mooney)…James Loney is expected to be activated from the DL this weekend (per Marc Topkin)…The Rays traded former big leaguer Alexi Casilla to the Tigers for either a player to be named later or cash. Casilla had been at triple-A all season…The Rays are now tied with the Orioles for first place with the Yankees a half-game back and the Blue Jays 1.0 game off the pace.

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• DOWN ON THE FARM [boxscores] Everett Teaford gave up 3 runs over 6 innings in Durham’s 4-1 loss. Tim Beckham played third base and went 2-4 with a double. He also stole a base, his first at triple-A this season…Blake Snell struck out 5 and allowed just 1 run in 6 innings during Montgomery’s 5-3 win. 1B Cameron Seitzer hit his 6th home run of the season. Dayron Varona was 2-4…Willy Adames was 0-3 and Casey Gillaspie went 1-4 in Charlotte’s 3-1 loss to Clearwater…Bowling Green lost 2-0 with 2B Riley Unroe going 2-4.

Tags

1. phil says:

Looney back this weekend and Jaso should be back too he played in 2 minor league games this weekend....

2. Rob says:

We can really use those reinforcements. The Rays have looked awful the last week and a half.

3. Pat says:

Who will be cut to make room for these returning players?

• Rob says:

My guess:

Loney replaces Kraus (Butler and Sizemore or Jaso platoon at DH)
      Beckham replaces Elmore (I think they'll take Beckhams' pop and speed over Elmore's versatility)
      Moore replaces Belisario, who gets released (I could also see them sending Yates down so as not to lose Belisario)
      Odo replaces Colome, who goes to the bullpen (or they run a 6-man rotation - Archer, Odo, Moore, Ramirez, Colome, Karns, with Karns and Colome getting the fewest starts).

All of these make sense to me, except for Jaso. Ideally, he would replace Casali, but he can't, so this presents the biggest issue in my opinion.

4. Pat says:

I hate to see Joey Butler being 'downsized' to something of a spotty role; he has been amazingly consistent. Hopefully, if he only gets a shot every third game or so, he won't lose that consistency. I feel encouraged when he comes to the plate.

5. Amanda says:

O Great and Powerful Cork,

I need your wisdom to help me determine if I'm the cause of the Rays' slump as of late. This year, I didn't purchase MLB.TV Premium because a) my husband bought me the NHL Center Ice package for Christmas and b) since the Lightning did so well, I knew I wouldn't be watching baseball until their season was over. However, on Sunday, June 20, I decided to purchase the MLB app with the radio access. Since then, the Rays have gone 2-7, winning on the only two days I didn't get a chance to listen to the games. (But then again, they won on my birthday on the 27th.) Have I completely jinxed their season by changing my routine? Should I give up and not listen to any more games? Helllllllllp!!!!!