6-23-2015 8-26-14 PM

RAYS 4, Blue Jays 3 (boxscore)

THE GOOD: Note to self: Do not write about how the Rays like to limit the number of batters their starting pitchers face on a day Chris Archer is pitching. The latest gem was 8 innings, striking out 7 and giving up just 2 runs (1 earned) on 3 hits and a walk to the No. 1 offense in baseball. Big Tree now has 9 wins, 123 strikeouts, and a 2.10 ERA. The last time a pitcher had those numbers on this date was Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez back in 2000. Archer is also on pace for 20 wins and 273 strikeouts. The last pitcher to go 20-270 was Johnson in 2002…Steven Souza stole his 10th base of the season to go along with his 14 home runs. He is on pace to hit 31 home runs and steal 22 bases. The Rays have never had a 30-20 player. The closest anybody came was Melvin “Don’t Call Me BJ” Upton in 2012 when he went 28-31. In fact, Upton has all three 20-20 seasons in franchise history…Asdrubal Cabrera is still not getting a ton of hits, but he has found a little pop in his bat. Over the last 10 games, Cabby has 9 hits, 3 of which were home runs. The latest came in the 8th inning and gave the Rays an insurance run they needed…But the real hero of the game was this kid, saving his sister on Cabrera’s home run, no thanks to dad.

THE BAD: Here’s a thought. STOP GIVING UP HOME RUNS TO DIONER NAVARRO.

THE TELLING: Steven Souza leads the Rays in both home runs (14) and stolen bases (10). The last AL rookie to lead his team in both for a full season was Jim Rice for the Red Sox back in 1975…The Rays are 41-32 and now lead the Yankees by 2.0 games and the Jays by 3.0 games. The Red Sox are 9.5 back 🙂

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• “The Royals and Rays are reinventing how teams use starting pitchers and it’s going to drive baseball traditionalists crazy.” [BI Sports]
  • “Chris Archer: Cy Young and MVP candidate” [ESPN.com]
  • DOWN ON THE FARM [boxscores] Everett Teaford gave up 4 runs over 6 innings in Durham’s 5-4 win in 11 innings. The Bulls won on a Hak-Ju Lee walk-off single after Richie Shaffer led off the 11th with a double. Shaffer was 2-4 and is now hitting .312 in triple-A…Charlotte gave up 4 runs in the top of the 10th to lose 7-3. Grady Sizemore went 1-4 with a double and a walk. Tim Beckham was 1-2 on his rehab assignment.

Tags

1. phil says:

when does Richie Shaffer get the call to the show?

2. Chris D says:

Regarding the starting pitching thing. Do we foresee an era where pitchers almost never go through a lineup more than once? Right now the gap is 2nd to 3rd, but eventually teams will be clawing for the extra advantage wherever they can. At that point is "starting pitcher" an antiquated term because no one's throwing more than 3 innings?

3. JMN says:

When can we stop referencing these so called "traditionalists?" Obviously they have not had much of an impact with their griping since the DH, shifts, instant replay, and now starting pitchers throwing low numbers, all occurring now. As times change the way things are done change. I'm convinced the "traditionalists" are just old grumpy people.

4. Jim says:

Dear Tampa Bay Rays Front Office,

Please cry me a river about attendance. I just went on the ticketmaster website to pick up a single seat for this weekend. THE CHEAPEST SEAT IS $26 AFTER FEES. That’s in the TBT party deck. Are you kidding? You are delusional if you think those seats are worth $26.

I CAN BUY A TICKET IN YANKEE STADIUM ON THE 4TH OF JULY CHEAPER THAN THAT!!!! WTF?????????

• Geoff Peterson says:

It's a higher priced game because it's the Red Sox. I can't imagine even their bandwagon fans will want to see the pathetic product they've put on the field this year.

• Jim says:

I know that, but I don't care who is playing or if it's PRIME. For them to bitch and whine about attendance is pathetic. $26 for a TBT party deck seat is a complete farce, unless it's the playoffs.

Like i said, you can go see the Rays play the Yankees on a holiday Saturday in the Bronx cheaper than going to the Trop and see the Red Sox. It's hard to make a case against them not actually suppressing ticket sales.

• Ken says:

Jim, Jim, Jim...buy the $26.00 ticket, slip any of ushers between sections 109 - 115 $5.00 and you're 10 rows from the field behind the visitors dugout.
          Better yet, go back to the northeast and take your negative bullsh*t with you.

• Jim says:

Ken,
            FU, I've been on this site as a Rays fan for a long time, i went round after round with Don, so not hardly a Yankee of any sort.

I'm simply explaining that the reason they aren't selling tickets is because they don't want to sell tickets. They could simply drop the prices and cut the "prime" BS. The excuse you hear is "that wouldn't be fair to the season ticket holders". BS, they don't want to piss off 5K season ticket holders in an effort to actually fill the place. They could easily give them credit or promotions for next year to soothe their anger.

The negative that you are hearing from me is the truth. If people actually showed up at the trop, then there would be no need for a new stadium. THERE IS ZERO REASONS FOR A TBT PARTY DECK TICKET TO BE $26. That's completely against all logic.

They raise the prices on the weekends and prime games to the point of doing harm to the number of tickets sold. Yet you'll defend them and call ME a yankee. They'll try to tell the media that "we're the best value in baseball", yet do you see ANYONE in the media saying what I just pointed out?

THE CHEAPEST TICKETS IN THE TROP ON THE WEEKENDS VS THE RED SOX & YANKEES ARE MORE EXPENSIVE THAN GOING TO SEE THE RAYS ON SATURDAY 4TH OF JULY IN YANKEE STADIUM.

Nope, you won't see that or hear that on any newscast or newspaper. Yet story after story about the stadium issue. Stay positive!!!!!

• Rob says:

I was able to buy tickets to the Rays/Orioles game up in Baltimore that were about 20 rows behind home plate in the first section and they were less than $50 each. I thought that was a steal. Rays tickets that close would be over $100.

• Ken says:

Does that include travel expenses? LOL.

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

Tickets in the TBT deck on Sunday are $21. And don't forget that you can bring in your own food and non-alcoholic beverages which can save you upwards of $30. Sounds like a bargain to me.
      In fact my family will be over by the rays tank enjoying a good whooping of the Chowda- heads...

Bringing my own snacks will save my family of 6 closer to $150 plus, since I'll have a car load my parking will be free (and although it holds no value to me, the kids get to enjoy Kidz Bop for free too).

• Jim says:

$21 + $5 service fee = $26 vs $24 in Yankees stadium. Talk up the free food, cause that's a ripoff. Those should be max $10 seats especially when all you here is crying about attendance.

$156 for a family to sit on n the TBT party deck. Yet bringing in $8 publix's subs will somehow make that feel better. There's a ton of people that don't buy concessions or have a group of 4 , so where's their savings?

You can try to somehow justify it, but those ticket prices are way out of kilter. Far from the bullshit "great deal" that they claim. $26 for bad seat in what most claim is one of the worst stadiums in MLB vs the Taj Mahal of MLB. You're right, there's no way they're trying to suppress ticket sales.

• Mr Smith 1980 says:

The Trop is a very pleasant place to see a game. No, you can't smell the fresh cut grass or see the clear blue sky, but the temp is comfortable and the view is good from just about everywhere.

I think you over stated the Taj Mahal aspect of Yankees stadium considering it's a cheap mock up of old Yankee Stadium. I can name a dozen parks that are nicer and more desirable places from which to see a game.

Don't get too wrapped up in this conspiracy theory of tanking ticket sales. Premium games cost more money. You should know that. You don't have to like it, but it's always been that way.

Argue all you want, but bringing our own peanuts, seeds, chips, water saves my family $100's per season, so it's not hogwash it's a true tangible savings

5. edward williams says:

strange how I keep hearing how it is such a great deal to be able to bring in your own food. I went to a rays game recently , seats where 65 dollars, behind the rays dugout about 10 rows or so up. 20 dollars for parking, because it was only my wife and I, but I will say this I paid the price because I wanted to try to sit someplace else , I usually sit up in the 300 section, third base line, which to me are the best seats anyway. So the food, I spent 13 dollars on a real good burger, with the fries, split it between the two of us, and got a 10 dollar drink , free refills. I was actually surprised about the food was better than I have had in the past. So I guess if you have a large family , being able to bring In your own food is a good deal. I never did, just figuring having to go to publix or subway was a waste. Before I forget , the product was more exciting than I have seen in a few years. Ok, now back to the attendance issue. I have always thought that the rays are pulling one over with the attendance, but of course as has been said , if you want a new stadium you aren't going to get it with good attendance. I didn't know that tbt seats where 26 dollars. If I remember right , weren't they 10 dollars one time. I can never understand the marketing of this team, example : I have heard that you can get 13 dollars seats ,as well as 7 dollar seats. Where and when? I have looked it up on line and can't find it, the parking fees are bad also, if you have 4 or more it's free, ok I only have 3 people most of the time, and being disabled I can't park out side the lot and walk. I just recently texted wdae about the attendance, the morning show, and was hammered because I commented that I thought that the marketing was part of the problem. I really don't understand why the media in this town doesn't come down on the rays more, I by no means am on the side of st.pete, and yes a new stadium would be nice, but the rays are no angels here, for a number of years you could look at the attendance on tv or in person and know that the next day that it would be a lot lower in the paper, and that the fans would be slammed once again. Funny thing I was watching mlb network the other day and a yankee game was on, the stadium was empty , but the attendance in the paper said 45, 000. One last thing I wish that could be done, even though I know it won't ever , is tie payroll in with the new stadium. If we pay through our taxes ,etc for a new stadium than you should have a floor on how much you have to spend on players. I know spending mega bucks doesn't guarantee a championship , but it at least gives us a better chance.