Wil Myers[Update] A trade with the San Diego Padres is “very close” according to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports. Passan adds that there is “significant optimism” that the deal will get done.

Earlier we heard that catching prospect Austin Hedges could be part of the deal. Now Jon Heyman of CBS Sports says right-handed pitcher Burch Smith has been discussed. Burch was the Padres 8th-best prospect  according to Baseball America.

[Earlier] The Rays already traded one outfielder today and now it sounds like the Rays are willing to move another as they are talking to the Padres about a deal for Wil Myers according to Ken Rosenthal.

Rosenthal adds that it is not clear if a deal is close, but says the trade would involve “a number of players” including the Padres “better prospects.”

Jim Bowden of ESPN reports that one name that has been discussed is Padres catching prospect Austin Hedges, the Padres top prospect at the start of the 2014 season. Baseball America called Hedges “one of the top catching prospects in the game.”

Hedges is considered a top catcher defensively but has struggled with the bat. In 2014, Hedges hit just .225 with a .268 OBP and 6 home runs in 113 games. He is just 22, which is still very young for a catcher, so there is plenty of time to develop.

1. Aaron says:

No, no trading Wil. I swear if they continue with this damn fire sale, I won't watch a single game in 2015.

2. Dave L says:

He lost his position in the outfield, a 24 yo DH is not a building block.

Lets hope we can get as much as we can for him. I have no problem with letting him go if we can get something potentially better in return.

I'm glad it looks like we are keeping our speediest outfielders, getting slower would not help us. I am not implying that Matty or Wil are slow but the domino effect of keeping them would ax faster Rays.

• Greg says:

I actually thought moving Des Jennings to LF and moving Kiermaeier to CF with Wil in RF would be better. Joyce is gone, so that leaves DeJesus and Guyer as lefty and right bats, respectively for DH/Bench. If we trade Wil, we have to put DeJesus/Guyer in LF. That isn't as good. No reason to think Myers isn't going to have a strong year, if healthy. And what's Longoria thinking right about now if Myers goes? Can't be happy if we get a bunch of prospects back.

• originaltom says:

I think they will put Franlin at 2b and the outfield will be zo, jennings and kiermaier. Dejesus and guyer will prob platoon at dh.

3. Matt says:

You can't really call this shedding salary or a firesale, since Wil doesn't make much money, but the return will definitely be interesting. As much as it hurts to trade him, if silverman thinks he can fill several organizational holes, then go for it. We've been pampered the last few seasons in terms of having a fresh starting pitcher or prospect come up each year, and now we're at the point where we don't have that luxury anymore. A restock of the farm system is necessary, especially with our recent draft picks not progressing the way they were projected too. Also, don't count out Silverman moving Wil and bringing in a new bat we haven't even considered. He's been aggressive so far, we'll see what he reels in.

4. Dave says:

It these so called baseball men would have just picked Buster Posey 5 years ago they would have won a couple of championships, still had the manager and actually made some money and kept the fans
    Cheap skates, now they have a former shortstop who plays outfield and may never make it, no fans, no manager and a so called baseball man running the show. I for one will never show up again.

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

One more Buster Posey comment and I'm gonna puke... in the words of "Frozen" star, Elsa, "LET IT GO!!!!!!!"

• Boxauthor says:

No fans?

You can be fans of a lot of things. Maybe some of the "Rays" fans were really Joe Maddon fans. Maybe they were just David Price or Andrew Friedman fans. I don't know.

Maybe we'll lose some Tropicana Field fans when the team moves to wherever it's going. But Rays fans are Rays fans. They will be Rays fans now, and will be Rays fans in the future. All teams change (unless you're the Yankees, and how much fun is that right now?).

I'm a Rays fan, and I'll be a Rays fan when the first pitch of the season is thrown out. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

5. zenny says:

If Matty S can get a good return, then go for it. However, this is selling low, as Wil certainly did not increase his value last season.

• Skateman says:

Not necessarily. There are big holes in Myers' swing. If he ends up an average to below average player, then there would be little to no return for him in the next year or two. The bloom isn't totally off the rose on this one. I think it makes sense to trade him.

6. Political_Man says:

As a Rays fan, I've kind of learned to roll with the punches on some of these trades but this one has me a bit nervous. I see the fact that Myers admitted his lack of focus last season as a positive step towards maturity. But who knows what Wil does with that.

Given that another bad season of Myers could be catastrophic to his value I see this an neither a "sell low" nor "sell high" trade but more of a risk aversion tactic. Is this the sign of a change in approach by Silverman?

7. Pat says:

Success in 2015 and beyond would require solid to above average production from Myers. What provides pause for us in expecting that are the issues displayed this past season. Yes, maybe he will mature and yes, maybe will respond positively to a new manager, but that's the gamble. If he continues to lag, we will have missed an opportunity. Nothing more than a gut feeling here, but he does strike me as a young man who may well continue to hot-dog it, so moving him now, while there is 'potential' might be a very good move.

8. Mr. Smith 1980 says:

UGH. There goes another $120 jersey...