B4HSUo_CAAAEPLJ

Kevin Cash is the new manager of the Tampa Bay Rays according to several media outlets. Ken Rosenthal was the first to report.

Cash, who will turn 37 tomorrow, is just three weeks older than Grant Balfour and most recently served as the bullpen coach for the Cleveland Indians.

The former catcher, Cash is also a Tampa Native who played for the Devil Rays in 2005.

B2_63hwCIAAhIuK

1. Matt says:

Rays made a good choice here. Cash will provide that extra kick of energy this team needs, especially after this tumultuous offseason. As a former bullpen and catcher, he obviously understands pitching well. This ensures that pitching will remain a forefront in the organization, that develops young arms so well. Good luck Kevin and welcome home!

2. Woodrow744 says:

Well…..lotsa luck, my man.

3. Geoff Peterson says:

Good choice, now he needs to find a way to keep Hickey at all costs. It might also be smart to make Charlie Montoyo his bench coach and see if Jeter wants to do a little work as a hitting coach or roving instructor.

• edward says:

ok I was with you up to the jeter point, lol seriously what is it with jeter, I understand he was a great ball player, i keep reading about people wanting him to be a manager (not now of course) or owner. I actually wanted Montoya to be the manager here instead of cash ,but now that he is here , have to give him a chance, and i am totally with you on the Hickey thing, they have to keep him above all else. Hope they go out now and start picking up players.

4. Pat says:

I like this choice. If anyone reads the feeds on Facebook, they are full of pessimism and in some instances, purely ugly comments. Many people are still bemoaning the exclusion of Martinez. Seems this area has many, many "fans" who have little to no idea about the business side of baseball, and are basically adverse to any kind of change. If anyone recalls the old Taco Bell TV ad, there was a little Chihuahua whose tag line at the end was "change is good". In that scenario, the reference was to getting coins back after buying food. In the Rays scenario, here's hoping it means we will indeed get a benefit from this move. I'm hoping we become faster and fleeter. How exciting would a team full of KK-like players be to watch and enjoy?

• Steve says:

I don't read any comments on Facebook, Yahoo, ESPN, etc. since 90% of those commenters are clueless morons

5. clueless moron says:

I have no comment.

6. Mr. Smith 1980 says:

I hope the Cleveland connection isn't so strong that he keeps Shelton...
    Outside of that, his lack of management experience makes it impossible to speculate as to what kind of manager he'll be; time will tell.

7. DRR says:

I would like to see him bring Charlie Montoyo up from Durham as a bench coach...

8. Mark Wolff says:

Welcome Kevin Cash to the organization..Please bring in a new hitting coach

9. Clueless Moran #2 says:

I thought it was a good thing to be a part of the 90%. No comment here...