Joel PeraltaThe Rays have announced that they have traded Joel Peralta and triple-A reliever Adam Liberatore to the Los Angeles Dodgers for relief pitcher Jose Dominguez and single-A starting pitcher Greg Harris.

Dominguez made 14 appearances out of the bullpen for the Dodgers over the last two seasons. Harris was a 13th round pick in the 2013 draft.

By trading Peralta, the Rays will save $2.5 million. He had club options left for 2016 and 2017, also at $2.5 million each season.

In addition to the trade, the Rays also designated three players for assignment, including Jose Molina, Cole Figueroa, and pitcher Michael Kohn whom the Rays signed as a free agent just four weeks ago.

Taking those spots on the 40-man roster are Dominguez along with minor leaguer pitchers Matt Andriese and Grayson Garvin, as well as infielder Ryan Brett, Mikie Mahtook, and catcher Justin O’Conner.

Those players needed to be added to the 40-man roster so they would not be available to other teams in the Rule 5 Draft.

For a simple explanation of the 40-man roster and the Rule 5 draft, see the bottom of this post.

B28S_r7CQAArtbZ

1. Mike M says:

Between Peralta & Molina leaving, we have gotten a lot younger! Between Price, Peralta & Molina leaving, we have lost a lot of leadership. I guess it doesn't mean much when the production isn't there. I will miss Peralta though.

• Skateman says:

Longoria needs to step up as the clear leader. Cobb also.

• Geoff Peterson says:

Loney and Zobrist can step up as leaders too. This team has enough veterans without keeping around players with eroding skills just because they might show leadership. Plus I never considered Price a leader given his comments about attendance and his general easygoing attitude. He was likely a fun guy in the clubhouse but not a leader in my opinion.

• Joe Dunn says:

His slugging percentage had fallen 150 points in the last 2 seasons

2. DRR says:

I think that Durham Bulls fans are going to miss Liberatore. He was a big part of the team this last year.

3. Dave L says:

Some here thought Peralta was a mistake to sign but he turned out to have real value, so those who wanted to DFA him were mistaken. I think Molina and Cole were the weakest links and Kohn? we hardly knew ye.

Dominguez is one of those typical Rays arms they always look for. Flamethrowing triple digit capable arm with with a secondary pitch, slider, but an underdeveloped change up which they will teach him and emphasize in Durham to get faith in. I guess they had to protect him because you cant teach 100mph and someone would take a flyer on him even if he's not MLB ready yet.

Our GM and skipper may have departed but everyone who follows and teaches the Rays way is still here in the lower levels where the teaching is really done.

Nice moves overall seems like its business as usual

4. Mr. Smith 1980 says:

I'm not unhappy about the Rays moving Peralta, but that is a TON of bullpen innings to try to replace. Peralta was perennially amongst the top of the charts for most appearances/season and that isn't easy to just gloss over.

5. Gus says:

With the departure of 3 of the slowest players in baseball (and clearly the 3 slowest on the Rays) -- Peralta, Molina (the many mound visits) and Hellickson -- the Rays games should be much quicker next year.

With Molina gone, I do think we have really turned a page. The best day in Rays recent history.

Perlata was a crafty veteran that they got all the mileage out of they could expect. Dave L. is correct that they'll have to figure out an 8th inning guy there, but that is what spring training is for. Perlata wasn't particularly good at his job, and re-shuffling the bullpen is a must.

6. Dave L says:

The working set up subject to change would be Balfour, Box, Jake I suppose but injuries and time and performance may alter that.

I may get flamed here but suppose Molina passes the 10 days or whatever and nobody offers him a playing job. Shouldnt the Rays at least bring him back for Spring Training? You can never have too many catchers in spring and he could help mentor the Young catchers?

I am not suggesting he make the opening day roster but we ought to milk him if we are paying him this spring. See if he will work the season in Durham or below helping coach the prospects. I am not certain of the precedents for this.

Food for thought.

• Rob says:

I like the idea of him working with pitchers in Durham. If we have to pay him anyway, why not get some value out of him.

• Gus says:

By DFA'ing him, he gets $2.5M and doesn't have to do anything else. If they were going to keep him in the organization, I'm guessing they would have cut him a deal already.

He's not the only guy who can frame a pitch.

And one upside of Friedman in LA and Maddon in Chicago is they can be landing spots for guys who the Rays need to dump (and money is no option).

7. edward says:

with Molina gone , makes me wonder who the real person was behind bringing him back, maybe joe. At least we can at least say (I hope) that there isn't a guarantee out anymore. as for leadership, since the ws season it seems that every player that was vocal or seemed to be a leader was shown the door, there was jonny gomes, not sure what happened to cliff Floyd. johny damon, wonder what happened there, eric henske, etc. I just wonder if Joe or Andrew didn't like that type of personality. Now we have Cobb, he seems to be in that mold, maybe some of the younger guys are in that mold, Molina wasn't, peralta was suppose to be but I never saw it, of course im not in the clubhouse. I know balfour is firey (sorry my spelling sucks tonight) but sometimes it's directed in the wrong direction. As a fan I can't say that I disagree with the moves so far, I just hope we can get a bat and some speed. Well GO RAYS