85131419SD016_TAMPA_BAY_RAY

Joe Maddon is no longer the manager of the Tampa Bay Rays according to Buster Olney of ESPN.

According to Jon Heyman, the opt-out clause in Maddon’s contract kicked in with the departure of Andrew Friedman to the Dodgers. Heyman says there were some “contentious days” after Friedman’s announcement.

The Rays have released a statement confirming the move. B0ucn91CIAAFkOE

Of course, now speculation will grow that Maddon will become the manager of the Dodgers despite Andrew Friedman saying Don Mattingly would manage the club during the 2015 season. However, Jon Heyman says Maddon is “not considering LA an option.”

Ramona Shelburne of ESPN spoke with a source with the Dodgers who said Maddon’s decision had “nothing to do with us.”

We’ll see if that changes.

The obvious choice to replace Maddon is bench coach Dave Martinez. But let’s be careful just assuming that this is a slam dunk. The Rays like to think outside the box and may have something else in mind.

1. Alex says:

What a douche. I love Maddon, but to come out and say how much he loves the team, and the area and how he plans on staying....and now this? Stay classy

2. Rob says:

My guess is Arizona or Minnesota.

3. Gus says:

A very disappointing end. Awful. Saddest day in Rays history.

4. Rob says:

He will sign with someone quickly. He didn't quit without having something else lined up, especially with a new restaurant here.

5. Carey says:

Isn't Gardenhire available? I'm think he would certainly fit the mold. Did a pretty good job with little $$$ before the Mauer contract screwed up the model.

6. The Fuzzy says:

Nice, so Joe is leaving because of money. And there is a story about how the Rays are going to make 80 to 100 million on a TV deal and we can't pay the man?

7. rick says:

Lay off of him. Be thankful for the level of baseball he brought to Tampa Bay. I wish him the best.

8. Sean says:

Great.

I always morbidly wondered what it would look like when this thing came tumbling down.

9. Gus says:

Trying to find a bright spot:

1. Makes room for Molina on the coaching staff.

2. Maybe new manager won't keep playing Escobar and Molina.

I'm struggling beyond that.

Heyman reporting there have been disputes in days since Friedman left. Hmmmmm

10. JMN says:

Sad day indeed! I am very grateful we had Maddon as our manager for all these years. I will forever be fond of the year he took the Rays to the World Series; it was very exciting time!. He will go up there with Dungy as far as Tampa Bay coaching greats go. Maybe a positive outcome of this sad situation is that Shelton will finally be gone.

11. dan says:

Not sure why, but I read this as, "ok then if that's the way it is going to be, I am gone". . . maybe as simple as Matt not giving him as much input as he had before??? the effective immediately statement makes me think there was some emotion involved. . . honestly, i feel they had gotten stale, not sure I want Dave martinez. . . yes they were successful, but i am thinking maybe new blood would be better.

12. Gus says:

Pretty clear the Rays were not expecting this, but when Friedman left Maddon had a chance to explore free agency and cash in.

Did anybody else think it odd when Maddon reaffirmed his commitment to the team he brought up the ballpark? Not really his concern. It just struck me funny when I read it, and now strikes me funny.

I'd note that both the Friedman news and the Maddon news broke on big days in the post-season, a faux pas in MLB, but makes you think bigger, more seismic things are going on at the Trop these days.

13. crazy says:

Guess Joe didn't see a return to winning any time soon...

14. Nathan says:

Let's not forget, Joe wasn't the one pitching out there everyday. And while one of his main jobs was creating a clubhouse that allowed his players to succeed, there are other people capable of doing that. I remember seeing a stat where the Rays' shift didn't save more runs than playing a normal defense. He was what we needed to pull us out of the Devil Rays hole, but we may now need some other way of thinking. Our pitching will still be there.
    The Rays are going to turn into the Astros because of this. I'm more worried about a new stadium!

15. ed says:

Oh please the astros, don't say that. It was time for joe to go, but i didn't think he would just quit on the team, lets not kid ourselves that is what he did. I can understand him wanting more money , who wouldn't? I just find it strange that the one year that they suck (since the ws) seems everybody is bailing. I will find it interesting where joe ends up, he had it pretty good here, the press really didn't question anything he did , and if they did say something he would pull an attitude. But still have to thank him for making it at least interesting around here for a few years, now maybe we can get rid of shelton and molina. GOOD LUCK JOE, THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES

16. Mr. Smith 1980 says:

Silver lining:
    Shelton's next!!! Then no more excuses for historically poor offense.

17. BetweenTheLines says:

Joe was fired. He was called to the office by Sternberg, told of the opt out clause, and told to take it as the most graceful and face saving way to leave. Sternberg is livid about the past season and knows the value of the Rays has plummeted along with there declining TV viewership. I watch the Rays everyday on Sun sports, but found myself channel surfing not able to stay tuned in to a season full of boring drawn out games.

This is the business side of baseball, just like giving up Price. Instead of Shelton leaving, we are more likely to loose Hickey. Going to be hard to be a Rays fan next year.

18. Mr Ed says:

Come on guys, Read between the lines. The writing is on the wall.
    The Rays days in Fl are numbered, If I was Mr Madden I would not want to
    resign and have the club up and move or implode,
    How much is round trip airfare from Tpa to Montreal anyhow?