A’s 3, RAYS 0 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Drew Smyly. It’s funny to think about this. What if David Price had been traded for a Drew Smyly who was still in triple-A, a Nick Franklin who was still in double-A, Willy Adames, and a 4th prospect who was never going anywhere? It’s the same players. But instead of knowing what they are, the Rays get two top-100 prospects with lots of sex appeal but who can’t help the Rays now or in 2015. A lot of Rays fans would have liked that trade.
THE BAD: The ugliest game in a while. We can talk about how the offense had runners in scoring position in 4 of the first 5 innings. Or we can talk about how the Rays didn’t get another baserunner after Yunel Escobar walked to lead off the sixth.
But I’d rather talk about why Ben Zobrist wasn’t in a hurry to get to third base on Evan Longoria’s pop-up that fell in and bounced around and why Tom Foley wasn’t waving Zobrist and giving Zo any indication that if he hurries he might be able to score. I don’t know if Zobrist is guilty of “not hustling.” But I do know he is guilty of assuming he had no chance to score.
THE TELLING: Luckily for the Rays, the Blue Jays, who lead the second Wild Card spot, have lost 4 in a row so the Rays remain 5.5 back…The Rays became the fastest team to ever reach 1,000 strikeouts with their pitchers, needing just 113 games, one game faster than the 2013 Tigers.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- According to a Newsday writer, Stuart Sternberg gave Andrew Friedman freedom to trade David Price to any team in baseball EXCEPT the Yankees. I wonder if the Red Sox would have also been forbidden if they were still in contention. [@DPLennon]
- “In our situation here people don’t know how good Adames it. This young player is a very good shortstop. We think he has the capabilities to play in an All-Star Game in the future. Other people don’t really know how good a player he is, so when other organizations look at him and say well, I’m not sure that he got enough, I wouldn’t be surprised if down the road they’re saying, well, this guy is really an impressive individual. And then all of a sudden it comes to light how much they did get.” [TampaBay.com]
- More suspensions are coming to Major League Baseball. [BI Sports]
- Kids, play baseball. [BI Sports]
- DOWN ON THE FARM [boxscores] The Bulls had 14 hits and 7 walks in their 8-5 win including 2 doubles and 2 walks from center fielder Justin Christian…Willy Adames hit his first home run since joining the Rays organization.