Joel Peralta

Playing A Little Pepper

The Rays announced today that they have designated Erik Bedard for assignment to make room for the return of Joel Peralta, who was on the DL for the first time since 2004. Tests revealed Peralta had the chikungunya virus…There is also word from the Trop that Ryan Hanigan will begin a rehab assignment on Wednesday with Charlotte and could be activated on Friday.

Game Graph

[Will be up at game time]

Source: FanGraphs

Lineup…

1. Flash Jennings, CF
  2. Ben Zobrist, LF
  3. Matt Joyce, DH
  4. Evan Longoria, 3B
  5. James Loney, 1B
  6. Logan Forsythe, 2B
  7. Yunel Escobar, SS
  8. Jose Molina, C
  9. Kevin Kiermaier, RF
  10. JAke Odorizzi, SP

1. angrybuddha says:

I have no idea what the chikungunya virus is, but my first thought is of Carl Nicks, Lawrence Tynes, and the MRSA embarrassment of the 2013 Bucs.

My brain says Peralta won't be infecting the locker room & that Maddon (et al) are too smart to let that happen.

My brain also says I could look this up in less time than it takes to post this.... so I did. According to Wikipedia:

"CHIKV is transmitted similarly to dengue fever and causes an illness with an acute febrile phase lasting two to five days, followed by a longer period of joint pains in the extremities; this pain may persist for years in some cases."

As we all know, Wikipedia is infallible, so now I'm no longer worried about a MRSA-like outbreak... rather, I'm worrying that Peralta is going to have trouble gripping the baseball...

2. Mr. Smith 1980 says:

Bedard was a bad pick-up.
    I will eat a little portion of crow, because I stated several times that I thought he would be a nice addition...
    I guess even I have to be wrong at least once... so much for my perfect game.

• Ken H says:

LOL, there's been a lot of that going around Mr. Smith...I threw my hat in the ring on the Heath Bell trade...at least you made it until July. BTW, I contracted Dengue during a post-Hugo work assignment in St. Croix. If chikungunya is similar then Peralta's days indeed could be numbered. The relapses are numerous and quite debilitating.

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

Yeah, I had some faith in Bell, but I kinda try to black that one out a la Isringhausen or Percival

3. Gus says:

Bedard had 3 horrible starts, 8 good ones and 4 middling efforts. Rays were 7-8 in his starts, which is basically the season-long team record (compare that to Roberto Hernandez, whose w-l was way out of line with the team).

More importantly, when the whole rotation was down, he gave them a couple of decent May starts. I think he gave them what he had, and a few times Maddon left him out there to suffer in order to save the bullpen (one game in Toronto sticks in my head) and that skewed his stats a bit. I've got no beef with Bedard, he was cheap and gave the rotation time to get healthy.

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

He wasn't horrible by any means, but he averaged a smidgen under 5 innings per outing, and that is what was stressing the 'pen, which was essentially the fissure that created a lot of the losses in the first half (trust me, I know he wasn't the only starter responsible for short outings this season).

• Dave L says:

Bedard overall wasn't a bad pickup. With the rash of SP injuries he forced into alot of action and ate some innings.

He wasn't the Rays first choice but sort of a last resort.

So yeah your 8 good/ 4 mid / 3 meltdowns is pretty good for a disaster guy.

And him being cut means we are getting healthier and the JCO cut also indicates they have confidence in some of the young live arms so they must feel good about the pen going forward.

• AJNO says:

great assessment. i agree 100%. we all knew if Hellboy came back healthy, and the rest of the staff stayed off the DL, that EB woudl be the odd man out. everything worked out as expected. EB deserves a pat on the back, and hopefully he can catch on with a team once rosters expand.

4. Joe Dunn says:

My answer is the same with most all the moves they make - - - THEY know way way more about this than I do (and most of YOU)

I doubt we will miss him.