Earlier today, the Red Sox made a huge deal, sending Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes to the A’s for Yoenis Cespedes. With Lester now off the market, several teams looking for a starting pitcher have now turned their attention to the Rays, among others.
Here is the latest. If there are any further minor developments, we will add them here:
- Joel Sherman of the NY Post says the volume of calls to the Rays about David Price “has gone way up” since the Lester deal was announced. [@JoelSherman1]
- We can scratch the Cardinals from the list of potential landing spots for Price as they have traded for John Lackey according to Jon Heyman. [@JonHeymanCBS]
- According to Jon Morosi, the Rays have scouted the Tigers’ farm system “extensively” in recent days. [@jonmorosi]
- Bill Shaikin of the LA Times says the Angels are not one of the teams asking about Price, acknowledging that they don’t have the prospects to get a deal done. [@BillShaikin]
- According to Tim Brown, the price for Price has not come down and no reason it should. [@TBrownYahoo]
Todd Kalas is at The Trop and says the Rays’ war room is busy.
FWIW, Rays war room visible from press box. Lots of movement around the dry erase board recently. Could just be a game of hangman.
— Todd Kalas (@TampaBayTK) July 31, 2014