Major League Baseball’s non-waiver trade deadline is Thursday and despite the Rays’ recent surge there are still rumors swirling around the team in general and David Price and Ben Zobrist specifically.
What fans need to remember is that the front office knows that the Rays still only have a 10.9% chance to make the playoffs, also known as an 89.1% chance of missing the playoffs. And while the Rays’ recent play will make it tougher to trade for Price or Zobrist, the Rays are still going to listen to offers and it only takes one team to unload their farm system and make an offer the Rays can’t refuse.
One insider, Jon Morosi of Fox Sports, has gone so far as to predict Price will indeed be traded before Thursday to the Dodgers.
Yes, when asked on @FOXSportsLive to offer my prediction on David Price trade, I said he would be traded by Thursday . . . to the Dodgers.
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) July 28, 2014
Beyond that, there are plenty of other notes and rumors. Here are the latest:
- The Brewers have “put their foot in the water” on David Price. What is interesting about the Brewers is that the Rays play Milwaukee the next 3 days and the Brewers may have a big impact on whether or not the Rays are willing to move Price. [FoxSports]
- According to Jon Morosi, the Giants had two scouts at The Trop this weekend and are still interested in acquiring Ben Zobrist. [@jonmorosi]
- Ken Rosenthal reports that the Giants and Pirates had “high-level scouts” at Friday’s game watching the duel between David Price and Jon Lester, although it is not clear which player the teams are more interested in. [@ken_rosenthal]
- Ken Rosenthal writes that the availability of Jon Lester could make teams less interested in David Price since Lester will be a lot cheaper. [FoxSports.com]
- Ken Rosenthal also notes that the Braves, Orioles, Mariners, Cubs, and Nationals also had scouts at the game on Friday. [@ken_rosenthal]
- Jayson Stark had a column that is no longer available, but was quoted elsewhere, in which an executive of another team said the Rays will trade Price if the offer is big enough. But they may hold off if they think they can get a similar deal this winter. [MLBTR]
- We can count the Cubs out of the David Price sweepstakes as they would prefer to hold on to their prospects according to Bob Nightengale. [@BNightengale]