Mariners 5, RAYS 0 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Chris Archer. In his last 5 starts (31 innings), Archer has allowed just 3 earned runs. He has also pitched at least 6 innings in each of his last 4 starts.
THE BAD: Offensive The Rays have now been shutout 8 times, which is tops in the AL and already equals their total from last season. They are also on pace to be shutout 20 times. The franchise record is 17, set in 1998…Grant Balfour. Prior to this season, The Mad Australian had never allowed 5 runs in a single appearance. This was the second time he has done it this season. What makes this one even worse is that Balfour struck out the first two batters in the 9th inning before the next 6 batters reached base. Two of the batters reached via walk. That is 20 walks for Balfour this season and he is on pace for 51. Over the last 4 seasons, Balfour averaged just 23 walks per season…Attendance. I know you guys hate it, but after this weekend’s games, the Rays are now averaging just 18,196 per game, down nearly 500 fans per game from last year (18,645). That would also be their lowest attendance since 2007 when they sold just 17,130 tickets per game. And it is going to get worst. The Rays can’t score and their games still take 3.5 hours. I sure wouldn’t blame somebody for thinking there are better ways to spend 3.5 hours + whatever amount of time it takes them to get to and from the park.
THE TELLING: The Rays have now lost 12 of 13 and still have the worst record in baseball…The 17 strikeouts for Rays batters tied the club record. It has happened 4 times previously…Brandon Guyer gets his cast off today and could begin a rehab assignment soon.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Joe Maddon’s goal is for the Rays to be 50-50. That would require the Rays to win 26 of their next 36 games. [SportsTalkFlorida]
- David Schoenfield of ESPN.com says “The Rays are awful…You can put a fork in this club. They’re done, no longer the Rays but the Devil Rays…Which leads us to this: The Rays have to trade Price.” [ESPN.com]
- He is just speculating, but Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says the Rays need to get at least 3 top prospects for David Price or else they will wait until the offseason to trade him. [Boston Globe]
- Mikie Mahtook is having a pretty decent year. I always had Mahtook pegged as a bigger Sam Fuld, but he looks better than that this season. [WDBB]
- James Shields had a tribute to Don Zimmer on his cap on Saturday. But it was off when he pitched on Sunday. The markings are against MLB rules. [@CorkGaines]
- DOWN ON THE FARM [boxscores]