Jim HickeyThe GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.

Marlins 3, RAYS 1 (boxscore)

THE GOOD: Offense. The Rays scored a run. One run. But sadly, that felt like a mini-victory…Brad Boxberger. In his last 8 appearances, Human B-Box has pitched 8.2 scoreless innings with 14 strikeouts and 1 walk. That’s pretty good. It also bodes well for the back-end of the bullpen in 2015. The Rays will likely pick up Joel Peralta’s reasonable option, and move him to 6th inning duty. If B-Box keeps this up, he will be in the 7th and 8th inning mix with Jake McGee, followed by Grant Balfour in the 9th . The Rays can live just fine with that.

THE BAD:  Offense. The Rays are now on pace for 98 losses and a 4.17 ERA. Only 2 American League teams in the last 25 years have lost at least 98 games with an ERA under 4.20.

THE TELLING: Wil Myers will not need surgery on his injured wrist, but the Rays are still not sure how much time he will miss. It could be more than a month…In a surprise announcement, Jeremy Hellickson may actually be back before July…The Rays are now 23-35, 11 games behind the Blue Jays in the East and 7 games behind the Angels and Yankees in the Wild Card…The Rays have already had 11 call-ups from Durham, matching last year’s total…The Rays now have a 7.4% chance of making the playoffs according to B-Pro.

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• Alex Cobb had some strong comments after the game: “I’m over taking positives away from games…That obviously isn’t getting us anywhere. Maybe we need to dwell on the negatives a little bit more and stop looking at positives…I think the biggest thing right now is to quit accepting losing,” Cobb said. “I can’t stand losing and I hope nobody in this locker room will accept this. It’s up to us to turn it around. Nobody is going to come here and make some magic formula for us to fix it. We’ve all got to look at ourselves and figure it out.” [TampaBay.com]
  • The Rays WAGS (Wives and Girlfriends) lost to the Marlins in their annual pregame softball battle. [TampaBay.com]
  • Will the Bucs keep 2 or 3 quarterbacks on the active roster? [JoeBucsFan]
  • DOWN ON THE FARM [boxscoresMatt Andriese continues his strong run with the Bulls, tossing 6 shutout innings with 3 Ks and a walk. In his last 5 starts, Andriese has allowed just 4 runs in 30 innings (1.20 ERA) with 23 Ks and 9 walks. Mikie Mahtook had 3 of the Bulls’ 4 hits. He is now hitting .337…Dylan Floro struck out 6 and walked none in 7.2 innings, giving up just 1 run. Ryan Brett hit his 5th home run…Charlotte won in the bottom of the 10th on Jonathan Quinonez’ walk-off double.

Tags

1. STARMAND says:

“I can’t stand losing and I hope nobody in this locker room will accept this.”

That tells me that there is some sort of discord, friction, disunity, in the clubhouse. Which is odd because during ST they all seemed in harmony.

The way things are going, that could be the only reasonable explanation for the team’s nonchalant attitude. Generally speaking.

2. louberger says:

Yes, the nonchalant attitudes comes off as very BJ Uptonish when the team is losing and not very good. When they are winning, the attitude is “cool”

Not a fan of the current team of players that are all playing below their capabilities. Time to give a few other guys down on the farm a shot. IE, stinking Molina must go, Longoria trade please, Price trade please, Dez Jennings is stinky, Joyce is Joyce, Forsythe stinks, Lueke Stinks,

Im sorry, they are just not pulling it together this year. No magic formula like Cobb suggested. Something is amiss, and it may be time to move on.

• Geoff Peterson says:

Let’s just trade everyone and start over. Maybe we could fire Maddon, bring back the Devil Rays name and see what Hal McRae is up to. Nothing like spoiled fans showing signs of panic.

• zenny says:

Yes, let’s trade or release the entire roster in June. That’ll make everything better.

Losing is frustrating, and some changes will likely need to be made. But let’s not commit organizational hara-kiri just yet.

3. mp645 says:

Hey there. Well, another bad game. Some players seem to have a bad attitude too. Just zombie-like playing. NO POP at all. AT least try or start taking antidepressive drugs. Maybe a sports psychologist could help the team. Maddon needs to kick and take names.

Rays are already raiding the Durham Bulls a lot. Mahtook is very good. ALex Colome had 8 K in the first 4 innings of Saturday’s game. Wish he would get called up too.

I was at the Durham Bulls Friday and Saturday. What a great change. $14 million was put into upgrades including walkaround field, new seats, great new screen, new video, great replay but they didn’t change the character of the team. Still has the BULL that snorts for homers.

4. louberger says:

well Geoff,

Whats your suggestion, status quo? Longo is getting worse every year. Remember his slump last year. Now his year long slump. I dont think these are slumps, i just think this is who he is, not very good.

We always hear about how wonderful our system is, well, now is the time to show everyone it is, or isnt. This form of baseball sucks, and quite frankly, i find myself watching other stuff than the rays. I have watched every game for the last 7 or 8 years, and now i am tuning into Bigfoot and survivorman just to make it thorugh the night.

I am bored,

5. Dave L says:

Someone in the press needs to ask Maddon what he thinks about the execution of the offense.

6. louberger says:

im all for it , execution of the offense

7. Rob says:

It is refreshing to see a player vent in the same way us fans do though. Not surprised it was a blue collar guy like Cobb. Wish Price would look inward and get fired up like this.

• OriginalTom says:

What do you consider showing “Fire”. I mean last game Price Plunked Ortiz and caused the Benches to clear and pitched a great game. What exactly classifies Cobb as being “Blue Collar” and having “Fire” whereas Price does not?

• Rob says:

Throwing at someone because you are trying to make a point about something that happened last year and verbally and publicly recognizing that the team is falling short of their own and fans’ expectations are vastly different. When I say fired up, I’m talking about someone’s overall demeanor – when Price gives an interview he answers questions by mumbling almost condescending, uninsightful, and unrevealing answers. I actually feel sorry for the reporters at times. Cobb’s overall persona is absolutely blue collar, while Price’s (and Rosenthal alluded to it in his column – though most here don’t agree) is a little bratty in my opinion. I admit he may not actually be that way in the clubhouse and in life, but he appears that way to me when doing interviews. He may just be uncomfortable and soft-spoken, so I freely recognize that it’s unfair to characterize him as such, but that’s my perception based on what I see on screen.

• ken says:

Hmmm…would Kenny “Poppins” have had the courage to call Drysdale, Gibson, Lolich, Carlton, Marichal, Koosman, Simmons, Ryan, etc. touchy/soft spoken back in the day had one of their batter contemporaries called them a little bit*h after getting plunked. Doubt it. Their next pitch would have been that little sh*t head through a plate glass window. Sportswriters today have latitude that is undeserved. Price, to his credit, is an educated young man. His clubhouse responses to the inane questions asked over and over by a bunch of hacks might sound softspoken to you, to me I think he’s doing his damndest not to pop one of them in the face. “Uh, David, would you have taken that cutter back against Pujols knowing you had him 0-2?” Brilliant question, Rob.

• Rob says:

I get it – not all is as it seems. However, I am basing my opinions on six years of interviews, not one incident. When he responds to Todd Kalas, a team fixture, with sarcastic and curt answers, I think it’s basically him just being rude. I don’t care what the question was, give the guy a little respect and do your best to provide a meaningful response for the benefit of all those involved, including the fans.

• ken says:

Respect your opinions always Rob, and I’ll give ya the Kalas point. But over all we have a pandering “homer” type press corps that rarely ask an informed question. Many of the Rays seem bored when answering “Kelly’s” cute L’ll questions about a game she doesn’t even grasp. Same for Shelton and Topkin, homers all.
            Watch a post game of the Yanks and see how well Giradi handles a bunch of sharp-witted sharks. Totally different circus.

• Mark Wolff says:

facebook page firederekshelton

If there was a real fight, who do you see on our roster that would be involved? I figured Sean Rodriguez, Yunel Escobar, and Grant Balfour. Throw in Davy Martinez and realize nobody would go near George Hendricks. But everybody else seems to think that they can out think the opponent instead of beating the opponent.

8. starmand says:

The way I see it, the only Rays player that looks to be rested, both physically and/or mentally, is James Loney. He seems to be just “going ’bout his business”.

The others, with a few notable exceptions like McGee, look both physically and mentally exhausted. And exhaustion quickly leads to frustration. Merely watching a Rays game is both exhausting and frustrating.

At least, Cobb knows how we feel.

9. Gus says:

Loney doubled in Boston, got to 2nd and started to to the claw back to the dugout and then just stopped, because I guess nobody was even looking back at him. They have given up. This team is asking to be blown up.

I’ve been on this for 3 weeks or so, but I believe this is a failure of leadership, a failure of Price and Longoria. They need Price to pitch well and get him packaged up for a trade to the Dodgers, San Francisco or some other team he’ll sign long term. Maybe St. Louis or Atlanta would get a home town discount. I used to think we don’t want him in the AL; butt if he is going to grove 0-2 pitches over the heart of the plate, maybe we do.

I’d also note this year has been a complete failure of the farm system. Despite having the extra 2% genius crew in the front office, our horrible drafting in the last 5 drafts is now coming home to roost. We have no non-pitching prospects to promote, no hope. Only Keirmayer (an awesome story) shows any life of the people promoted. That is a lot of wasted Stu money in the draft.

• starmand says:

“Loney doubled in Boston…”

Wow. I missed that. And it is remarkably telling.

Not good.

• OriginalTom says:

In all fairness Gus, Price has only given up 1 HR on an 0-2 count (I know that is 1 to many) and that Homer was to Albert Pujols. Also hitter are only hitting .127 against Price after an 0-2 count according to Baseball-Reference.

• Gus says:

Wasn’t Ortiz’s big RBI hit the other night also 0-2? And the Baltimore start before LA Angels was another one where he got victimized 0-2 (Adam Jones maybe). Even if not HRs, he’s giving up hits.

How does .127 on an 0-2 count compare with the league average anyway?

Price gets grades on a harder curve for me. He has all the talent, is in his prime and well paid. Yet he’s played like crap for much of the year, and expecially when his team needed him. When you start off a beanball war, you better be able to finish that game when a pathetic team gives you a 2-0 lead (especially after thye bailed you out of your last start). He couldn;t hold it, and the OF clown show took over.

• OriginalTom says:

I do not know what league average is but for his career hitters are at .149 with 5 HR.

I really think Price (and I know people hate this word) actually has been unlucky. His K/W Rate is 10 to 1, his FIP is 3.25 this year compared to 3.38 for his career, and his BABIP is .326 for 14 compared to .284 for his career. The team is also 7-5 in games he started, which I know you would hope for a better record from you ace but consider the team has won only 23 games and he has started over 30% of them it looks a lot better.

• Gus says:

If I’m grading on a curve, then for sure Longoria’s no-show this season in a worse grade than Price, but both have to be extremely disappointed with themselves.

Again, they are not alone. No player has had a “good” season by that player’s standards except for S-Rod. Everybody is off. But Longo and Price are the guys who should be showing veteran leadership; I don’t see a lot; just some resignation.

• Rob says:

I don’t think it’s bad luck unless he’s pitching only when the wind is blowing out. He gave up 16 HRs all of last year (1 every 46 batters) and 16 the year before that (1every 52 batters). He has already given up 12 this year (1 every 29 batters). His career average, including this year, is 1 every 44 batters.

10. angrybuddha says:

I make a call to all Rays bloggers, broadcasters, and fans to (a) stop calculating and/or reporting playoff odds; and (b) stop pointing out the record we need to get to 90 wins.

Every time I see either of those calculations, it’s like one more punch in the balls. As if the loss the night before wasn’t bad enough… now I get to see in stark naked digital numbers how much that sucked. Every morning. And on Twitter. And in my dreams. Can we just fast forward to 2015 already?

11. Dean says:

Trade and release the WAGs, too, while we’re at it.

12. louberger says:

I love this team, but these guys dont have it.

Attendance is gonna be ugly come july/august when we are 18 games out

13. ken says:

I posted this yesterday, this morning I feel the need to slightlyy edit and post again.
    The upcoming month promises to be one of the most important for the Front Office since taking over the franchise. Not only do they have the draft coming up in a few days but they must begin a serious evaluation of future capabilities of the ML roster, our upper minors and the MiLB rosters of potential suitors of our most desirable assets. Is Kiermayer for real? If they feel he is he needs to stay and play. Same with Boxburger, and Figuroa. Outside of Romero and Colome, the Durham starting staff has been pitching lights out. Can they help us in the future or are they commodities to offer up?
    Furthermore, the ML coaching staff must also be evaluated. Price said of Big Papi that “he thinks he’s bigger than the game”, well there are too many Rays fans who feel Maddon is also “bigger than the game”. He’s not, get over it.
    What happens on the field the next six weeks is far less important than what decisions are made upstairs. Sure we could go on a tear like the Dodgers did last year, but how many of us are picking up the phone to call Vegas with that thought in mind.
    By July 15 contending teams with needs will come knocking. Friedman better be ready. Otherwise this franchise could sink back to ’06 in a New York minute. Price, Joyce, Zobrist, Joyce, Jennings, DeJesus, and Rodriguez could all be the player that puts one of those teams over the top. While I doubt all of them will go, it’s not beyond the realm of possibility if the right players are obtained in return.
    Too many miscalculations were made last off-season. We can’t afford to make those mistakes again.

14. Jason says:

Thank you Cobb for saying that, I’m tired of Joe and anyone else saying well I like what we did in this 5-1 loss. Well I didn’t because we lost 5-1!!! The lack of power and discipline at the plate is just terrible. The regressions guys show after being in Tampa under Shelton is awful!! He needs to be a scape goat right now because the awful offense is now starting to affect these players usually spectacular defense. It only took 4 years.

15. Jim says:

So it’s more bush league bullshit from Maddon. First it was luck that propelled the Jays to a sweep, now it’s the umps in the Marlins series.

Maybe they should install a bunch of mirrors in the locker room, with a few extras in Shelton’s and Maddon’s office. Instead of blaming others, look at cause of the real problem. Also ship a couple to Andrew and Matt so they can have a deep look, since they delivered you the shitpile that is Forythe, Molina, Bell, and Balfour.

So instead of “they got lucky”, “we’ll turn this thing around, remember 2011″, “those umps and their “amorphic” strike zone”, Why don’t you stfu with your BS vocabulary, and speak the truth? This isn’t little league, if the team starts to cry when they are actually told the truth, then give them a juice box.

6 years of stellar pitching will make things and people seem a whole lot more palatable and intelligent than they truly are. The managing errors, questionable lineups, and talking down to the fans, and a horrible hitting coach, seems to get lost in the shuffle when the pitchers are throwing lights out season after season. It also covers up the anemic hitting and only receives glaring spotlight as we get knocked out of the playoffs. It’s and eye opening experience when you not able to hold teams to 2 runs. PITCHING made this 6 year run, NOT JOE MADDON.

• Jim says:

Listening to Maddon on wdae. Bdog asked him if it was Wolf or did the umpire help. He said he called it loose on both sides and he didn’t have any issue with the ump and he was good.

Yet last night, it was “”Some of it was Wolf, some of it was kind of an amorphic strike zone also,” he said.”.

Once again, bush league bullshit. Talking out of both sides of his ass.

16. Jim says:

The lack of power is due to taking pitches to work the count. We are on our heels, defensive batting with a 2 strike count. We don’t take solid swings early in the count. Therefore we don’t drive the ball, and don’t hit HR’s.

But the Maddon/Sheldon way is to work the count. The hitters have no confidence and the at bat is reduced to a couple of pitches in which they aren’t swinging hard.

How F-ing hard is that to realize?

17. Dave L says:

The Rays are having a year like the Jays did recently after getting all those Marlins or the Sox in the Bobby V year.

As noted by many here virtually every player is having a subpar year and the others are injured. In such years there are no answers. We just haven’t had many horrible years recently so to some it seems exasperating.

The Rays have zero redundancy built in year after year and have to continually produce as a whole greater than the sum of the parts. This year they are not and the bubble burst.

Personally I can’t fault the construction of this team because it made sense on paper. If we had a normal average season with normal injuries, and guys had career average outputs, we would be where we have been but lately which is in the hunt.

But we didn’t.

So we are left sucking hind teat.

Maddon is saying all he can say. I dont know what anyone expects in 2014. All managers are Maddon now. Just go listen to them. Friedman has no money to spend we can’t just go out and buy a S. Drew. Everybody called up from Durham has been no better than the guy he replaced— the answers are not and never were to be found in AAA.

This season was to be won or lost with the 25 guys who broke out of ST + Hellickson eventually. Looks like ‘lost’ is the safest bet so far.

I thought it was interesting Cork threw out Zobrist being on the block and no commenter batted an eye. I speculated here in the offseason that we would not likely offer him an extension due to his age and likely market value, so that’s very interesting.

The good news is that in a team wide malaise type year Price and Zobrist can likely maintain value and this year kind of discounted in a suitor with gleam in his eye and a gaping hole in his rotation or lineup.

18. TOM says:

When are the Rays going to admit they made a big mistake signing fat ass Molina. He’s down right embarrassing. Last he makes an out and wobbles back to the dugout laughing. Get rid of him. NOW! Also while there at it gie rid of Shelton too.