USATSI_7933436_154511044_lowres

Things got ugly in the first game of the Red Sox series with David Price hitting David Ortiz in the first inning with what appeared to be an intention pitch right to the heiny.

Benches then cleared after Price later hit Mike Carp with a pitch that did not look intentional. Carp responded by trying to break Yunel Escobar’s leg on a dirty slide [you can see all the shenanigans here].

If there was any doubt about Price’s intentions, Joe Maddon seemed to erase those thoughts after the game.

When asked if the pitch to Ortiz was in response to the bench clearing incident last weekend, Maddon said the pitch had nothing to do with Sunday. When asked if the pitch was in retaliation for Ortiz pimping his home run during the ALDS last October, Maddon again said the pitch had nothing to do with Sunday.

Meanwhile, Big Papi was fuming in the Red Sox clubhouse after the game.

“First at-bat of the season against him, he drilled me..That’s means it’s a war. It’s on. Next time he hits me, he better bring the gloves on. I have no respect for him no more…You can’t be acting like a little girl out there all the time, you give it up, that’s an experience for the next time, but you gonna be acting like a little bitch, every time you give it up, bounce back like that and put your teammates in jeopardy… oh yeah, I was going to let him know…I respect everybody in this league, and I get a certain respect from everybody. If you’re mad because I take you deep twice, I’m gonna let you know. I got almost 500 homers in this league, that’s part of the game son. “

At this point, all I can think about is Ortiz charging the mound. First he would stare at Price for five seconds and when he started waddling out to the mound, it would take him another 30 seconds just to get there.

Meanwhile, Price would be laughing his ass off the entire time.

As for hitting Ortiz…

Ortiz has played this game long enough and stood there and watched a lot of his home runs. He has to know that occasionally a pitcher is going to get upset and plunk him.

USATSI_7485259_154511044_lowres

However, I have never been a fan of baseball’s idiotic unwritten rules and I am definitely against hitting batters on purpose. Don’t want Papi to pimp? Don’t let him hit two home runs off of you in a playoff game. I said that then and I’ll say it now.

That being said, Price didn’t go head-hunting. He did it the right way, if there is one. He hit Big Papi in his Big Papi Ass. And then Price didn’t say a word. He didn’t escalate things by screaming back. He just walked away, saying it was over as far as he is concerned.

Let’s just say it could have been a lot worst for Ortiz.

USATSI_7474341_154511044_lowres

1. Beezy says:

Did any reporters ask “how many of those 500 homers were because of steroids”?

2. zenny says:

‘roids are bad, kids.

3. Geoff Peterson says:

I love how Sox apologist Gordon Edes said Price hit Ortiz in the back. He hit him in his fat ass. If Ortiz wants to be Mr. Tough Guy, he needs to be fined for making those threats but the league seems to give him and the Sox a pass most of the time. And Carp was just laughable. If Price wanted to hit you on purpose, he’d hit you exactly where he wanted, it wouldn’t be a pitch that rides in like that.

• Geoff Peterson says:

Oh, I also wanted to mention. It’s pitchers like the one throwing at Longoria that get guys hurt. Price hit Ortiz where a good pitcher should, Workman was just being a dangerous jackass.

4. ken says:

Rays should start Lueke in this game if the Sox retaliate in the top of the first. Have Ordo ready if not but keep Lueke on high alert to come in and throw 1 pitch. I’m tired of the Boston Bully Boy routine. After Carp was hit his slide into second was uncalled for and dangerous. Papi wants a war? Fine, time to rumble with these entitled as8hol8s.

5. STARMAND says:

There’s still time to hire Miguel Olivo for this series.

Hey, Rays need catching depth.

6. edward williams says:

waaaaaaaaaa, never thought that the red sox would be crying like little babies. I can’t believe i am going to say this , but i use to like ortiz, even when he would stand there for an hour watching his home runs, he deserved what he got, I unfortunatly missed the game last night, but i hope the rays take the next 2. Kind of suprised that price didn’t get thrown out. I just hope we , the rays can just find a way to stay consistant , go on a run and win more than 4 in a row. I don’t see the playoffs this year ,but hey stranger things have happened.GO RAYS

7. Mord says:

… so much rage

… .. … hmm

8. Dean says:

Big Fattie issued this additional threat to Price this afternoon:

“Well, listen up, sonny Jim: I ate a baby. Oh, aye, Baby: the other, other white meat. Baby: it’s what’s for dinner. I’m dead sexy. You were crap!”

9. formattedfire3 says:

lost count, but weren’t there four red sox ejected last night? None for the Rays….I think the Rays play baseball the right way. Did not and have not stoop the Red Sux level.

You don’t show-up the opposing pitcher admiring your homeruns. That it is an unwritten rule, and it’s about respecting the game the right way. Price did what he felt he had to do, and I agree that he should send the message.

Ps – The Red Sox crowd the plate to spoil off pitches. If anything, the Rays should pinch more aggressively in, and brush them (and other teams off) back off the plate. It’s legal to throw inside as Dave Wills mentioned last night.

10. STARMAND says:

In my never-ending, life-long quest to bring peace between warring factions, I think that instead of batting practice, both teams should gather ’round for tea and biscuits. It’s the civilized thing to do.

11. Dave L says:

MLB let’s guys like Ortiz effectively change the strike zone especially for them. They wear this body armor. So the lead right elbow is wrapped up with enough Kevlar and composites to fend off a drone srike. Then they lean over the plate because they have no fear of taking a ball 2 inches off the plate because they won’t get hurt. That takes away the middle inside pitch. Any thing high and inside and OOOHHH goes the crowd and it’s deemed head hunting. The umps are bullied to warn the pitcher.

Price shouldn’t have wasted 1 pitch to Papis well padded back side which then took away his ability to pitch effectively inside the remainder if the game.

Better to have thrown two inside tailing sinking pitches to Ortiz feet. No hitter is going to stand there and take those. They sting like a mofo and making him dance is going to have more effect setting him up later.

I am sick of watching armored up hitters take HBP when it’s a strike or inches off the plate. The pitcher shoul have ownership of the plate and 3 to 4 inhes either side of it.

• ken says:

Totally agree. If you stand on the plate you’re gonna get hit once in a while. Your “Kevlar” point is interesting, never thought about it as you presented it. Don Baylor wore none of that high tech stuff yet never complained about getting hit, and he was hit a lot. Neither did Raines, Santo and a host of others. I still feel, probably cause I’m so pissed at our performance, that we hit that fat MF each game from now on. He ain’t the Babe.

• Rob says:

I propose that whatever you are wearing when you hit you have to wear on the base paths. If you want to hit with body armor then then you should have to run with it too.

• ken says:

One more note on Ortiz, I’m watching the game as he is up in the 3rd and clearly his hands are no more than 2″ from the edge of the plate. Hit ‘em, again and again and again.

12. ken says:

What an embarrassing loss. Ortiz throws down the gauntlet and we cave like the pretty boys from the “Sandlot”. This team has no pride.

13. Monte says:

This war is a sideshow, not important unless it is a distraction. What is important is winning ballgames. Thus far, since the war started, Boston is 2-0, our Rays 0-2. Somehow this intense dislike seems to have developed between Boston and Tampa Bay. I’m not sure why. It’s the same way for the Sox and Yankees. What is common in both is the Red Sox. I have thought that since the Rays made it to the World Series, both NY and Boston resented the Rays’ success. After all, the Rays have no history comparable to NY, Boston and Baltimore. Their payroll is tiny and attendance weak. They don’t deserve to be up their with the big boys. I don’t think the Rays have intentionally provoked this rivalry. They just keep trying to earn respect.

As Ken pointed out about our starting pitchers, we have now gone 13 games without one winning. It is not that they have all pitched poorly, the batters haven’t given them any runs. We hit solo homeruns and get doubles and triples after two outs. We get runners on 2nd and can’t move them over. We strike out in crucial situations.

We are not getting production from key players. After Saturday’s loss, Sean Rodriquez had 82 AB and 20 RBI while Longoria had 219 AB and just 23 RBI. Loney leads in hitting .292 and RBIs with 28.

Pitching? Among starters, only one (Cobb) has an ERA under 4.00. Among relievers, look at our closer, Balfour (5.49), our setup ace, Peralta (4.88) and early relievers, Gomes (4.91) and Lueke (5.22). I realize that early in the season, a pitcher can get blasted in one game and it have a significant impact on his ERA, but our really key pitchers have let us down.

I think those are the reasons we are 23-33.

Toronto’s record is the mirror image of ours, and their pitching stats are only modestly better, but look at their hitting. Their two HR leaders have 18 and 14. They have four players with 30+ RBI, we have -0-.

Management thinks players are under-performing and will have a breakout. I sure hope so, but we’re 10 games under .500 and our records is fast becoming a higher hill to climb.

14. STARMAND says:

I have to admit that I don’t have the slightest idea on how the season can be salvaged.

Unless it entails bringing up the entire Durham team and sending the ML team to NC.

I’m starting to think that the reason for the Rays’ woes is internal, hushed-up, more attuned to a cover-up of sorts. But for a few regulars, it’s like watching a zombie movie. In slow motion.

• Rob says:

I agree – I am opening the silverware drawer as we speak and reaching for a fork because the Rays are just about done.

15. Rob says:

Evan Longoria only had one more HR than Keirmeyer in the month of May.

• Rob says:

Actually, no, they had the same number of HRs in May (2 each) except Keirmaier only played in about 7 games.

16. Mone says:

I don’t know, guys, I was traveling and did not see Sunday’s game, but I did see in the box there were 14 strikeouts. While sitting in a restaurant I saw some highlights on TV and it looked to me like there were quite a number of called 3rd strikes. Whew! Lester must have been amazing!

I’m with most of you informed contributors to this blog. You thought the Rays would do well this season with their bats. I’m beginning to wonder if our team is as good as we thought it was. Longoria is supposed to be our all-star, and his numbers are just mediocre. Myers, from whom we expected high run production, is trying to equal Pena’s BA but without the HRs and RBIs.

How many games have we now gone, Ken, without a win for the starting pitcher? 14.

I sure do hope our fears are not realized. .We are not looking good right now. Things can change. These are the numbers I’d expect:

Player HR RBI AVG.
    DeJesus 8 58 .278
    Zobrist 18 72 .272
    Joyce 22 83 .266
    Longoria 31 102 .281
    Myers 28 90 .273
    Loney 14 80 .285
    Jennings 18 71 .268
    Escobar 11 60 .280
    Hanigan 6 48 .245

Those are not super-star numbers, but we could potentially go to the World Series with numbers like those. It doesn’t look like anyone will come close, with a few exceptions for batting average.

Someone pointed out recently that we’re no longer a young team. We have 5 regulars in the field who are 30+. With the exception of Balfour, Leuke, Peralta, Ramos and Bedard, our pitching staff remains young. If these young pitchers really are good, we’ve got to build the future around them.