If it seems that his 50-game suspension for using horse steroids ended early, that’s because he is still suspended.
Colome is technically a Major Leaguer because he is on the 40-man roster and is only in the minor leagues on an optional assignment. Because he is a big leaguer, he can go on a “rehab assignment” for 16 days.
In other words, Colome’s suspension was reduced to 34 games even though he is technically still suspended. Gotta love baseball, man.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Brad Boxberger is expected to be added to the bullpen to take Heath Bell’s spot. Nate Karns briefly took the spot for Sunday’s game, but has been sent back to Durham. [TampaBay.com]
- Desmond Jennings was named AL Player of the Week. He had 3 home runs, 3 doubles, and 3 stolen bases last week.
- It sounds like the Rays nearly cut Josh Lueke instead of Heath Bell, but decided to keep Lueke because he is younger and has a higher upside. [MLB.com]
- The Durham Bulls cut catcher Eddy Rodriguez to make room for Curt Casali, who was promoted from double-A. [WDBB]
- Don’t forget that JoeBucsFan has everything concerning the Bucs covered for this week’s NFL Draft. [JoeBucsFan]
- DOWN ON THE FARM [boxscores] Kevin Kiermaier went 2-5 and has 10 hits in his last 7 games to raise his average to .300…In double-A, Victor Mateo struck out 9 and walked 1 in 7 innings. He gave up just 1 run…