Twins 9, RAYS 7 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Desmond Jennings. Have you seen The Catch?…Ben Zobrist. Zorilla is once again quietly having a very good season. Three more hits yesterday and he is now hitting .310 with a .404 OBP and an .845 OPS.
THE BAD: Erik Bedard. A commenter said it best yesterday, there is a reason Bedard couldn’t find a job when he asked for his release from the Rays in spring training. There were 150 starting pitchers at the start of the season and not one team, including the Rays, thought he was better than one of their five. In his last two starts, Bedard has allowed 17 baserunners and 8 runs in just 7.2 innings. But really it’s the walks. At his best, Bedard was 92-93 with his fastball. Last year Bedard was 89.5. This year it is down to 88.3 mph. When that happens to some pitchers, they start to get afraid to throw the ball in the strikezone and try to hard to get hitters to swing at bad pitches. At his best, Bedard walked 3 batters per 9 innings. Last year he was at 4.5 walks per 9 innings. This year it is up to 6.5. He needs to start trusting the defense behind and be more aggressive in the strikezone.
THE TELLING: The Rays had their first themed road trip of the season, hats (above)…Michael Pineda of the Yankees was suspended 10 games by Major League Baseball but will probably miss just one start because of an off-day. That means he will miss 6-7 innings. Joel Peralta was suspended 8 games and probably missed 3-4 innings…Juan Carlos Oviedo pitched in his first game since 2011 when he was known as Leo Nunez…In 21 games, Leslie Anderson is hitting .364 with 4 home runs for the Yomiuri Giants in Japan.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- “Why Pitchers Use Pine Tar.” [BI Sports]
- Joe Maddon with the best quote yet on legalizing pine tar: “I’m in favor of legalizing pine tar, but it’s usage may have to begin with the Rockies and Mariners.” [@RaysJoeMaddon]
- When it comes to beer prices, the Trop is in the middle of the pack among all pro sports teams. [BI Sports]
- Several Durham Bulls hitters are off to very good starts, including Jerry Sands. [WDBB]
- Mason Foster is the new play-caller on defense for the Bucs. [JoeBucsFan]
- DOWN ON THE FARM [boxscores]: Matt Andriese gave up 4 runs (3 earned) in 7 innings. Wilson Betemit hit his 4th home run and had a pair of walks…In double-A, Victor Mateo had his second straight start in which he threw 7 shutout innings. This time he also had 9 strikeouts and just 1 walk. Ryan Brett was 3-5 to raise his average to .294…Andrew Toles had 2 doubles and a single and Tyler Goeddel went 4-5 with a double for Charlotte.
At the 0:50 mark of this video, watch Leslie Anderson hit a grand slam in Japan.