White Sox 7, RAYS 3 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Flash Jennings. It seems like we have seen Desmond Jennings’ speed on display a little bit more recently. I wonder if Joe Maddon has urged Flash to be more aggressive. The latest was scoring from second on a sac fly to the wall (see video below). The center fielder did fall down, but he got rid of the ball quickly and Jennings still scored…Ryan Hanigan, Hanigan has an amazing arm. He is now 5-10 throwing out base stealers and his latest, on Adam Eaton last night, was absolutely gorgeous. Ben Zobrist basically stuck his glove out and Hanigan put the ball right in the glove with time to spare (See video here).
THE BAD: Everything.
THE TELLING: The game was never delayed. There was steady rain over the last few innings, but the heavy rain held off until after the game…The Rays’ chances of making the playoffs is now down to 39.6%.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Don Zimmer is still hospitalized and on a ventilator, but is reportedly showing signs of improvement. [TampaBay.com]
- Manager ejections are way down, but ejections overall are relatively unchanged because players and other coaches are being thrown out more often. [BI Sports]
- The Rays roster is not as young as you might think. [Fangraphs]
- CJ Riefenhauser got a little revenge against Dean Anna. [WDBB]
- Grading old Bucs drafts. [JoeBucsFan]
- DOWN ON THE FARM [boxscores] Wilson Betemit’s 6th home run tied the game with 2 outs in the 9th inning. But the Bulls lost in 13. Nate Karns gave up 5 runs in 5 innings.