Jake OdorizziPlaying A Little Pepper

Don Zimmer will have surgery today to repair a leaky valve in his heart…With last night’s game being cancelled, Jake Odorizzi will get to keep his spot in the rotation as Brandon Gomes was scheduled to start last night. No makeup date has been determined yet…The Rays will wear no. 42 today in honor of Jackie RobinsonMikie Mahtook had a hit in 11 straight at bats for the Durham Bulls. That streak ended last night. Mahtook is 19-39 (.487) in his last 9 games.

Game Graph

[Will be up at game time]

Source: FanGraphs

Lineup…

1. Ben Zobrist, 2B
  2. Wil Myers, RF
  3. Matt Joyce, DH
  4. Evan Longoria, 3B
  5. James Loney, 1B
  6. Flash Jennings, CF
  7. David DeJesus, LF
  8. Yunel Escobar, SS
  9. Jose Molina, C
  10. Jake Odorizzi, SP

1. Rob says:

Ah, so the Rays did score the same number of runs today as they scored yesterday.

2. Jason says:

and reason#500 Derek Shelton needs to go

3. Casey says:

Ditto on getting rid of Shelton. Notice on the broadcast BA is analyzing Myers terrible mechanics at the plate, what the heck is Shelton doing? I'd bet anything it takes 10 minutes to talk to the kid and correct something.
    Gonzalez had 4 strikeouts combined in first two starts of the year.
    Leave it to the D-Rays to strike out 6 times in 5 innings against this guy.
    Pathetic.

4. ken says:

Ordorizzi pitched reasonably well. 2 Adam Jones hits never got past third base and contributed to all three runs. JoMa was seriously out-managed by Showalter in both games. What to do with Myers? He looks totally lost. The entire league now knows what G. Brett predicted: he can't hit the outside breaking ball. His AB with the bases loaded in the 7th was pitiful. Two swings and one check swing from a lefty that were at least a foot outside. If you sit him you hurt his development. If you play him you hurt the team. Dare I say it? The kid needs to go to Durham for a few weeks to find his groove. Yes, it will bruise his ego. But I'd rather give Sands a chance to see if he can bruise some balls in the bigs like he's doing at Durham. I'd bring up Figuroa too as Logan ain't cutting it either. I'm sure I'll get slammed for these statements, told I'm panicking, but I'm not. I believe if you give the rotation 4-5 runs a game to work with we can stay in the hunt till healthy again. Otherwise the next juicy rumor will be to trade Price and wait till next year. We can hit, and we will hit, the question is when?

• OriginalTom says:

I think Myers will be fine. It is only 50 AB's and he is hitting .200. Remember Longo hit .194 for the entire month on August last season.

5. wealthmony says:

Ken, I think you are completely right. I don't understand when these guys get things out of whack, why not go down and get things worked out. Otherwise, they will continue to hurt the team until.....and they may even hurt themselves. A couple of weeks might do the trick.

6. Dave L says:

All the Orioles runs were scored on BS lucky plays.

Ground control to Rays fans who jumped on the panic button with two feet and were launched into earth orbit.

We are less than 1/10th of the way into the season and we are 1.5 games back.

Relax