RAYS 9, Blue Jays 2 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Desmond Jennings. He made a catch. He made a sweet slide (see below). And he was on base three times. Not a bad day at all…David Price. At no point was I watching the game and thought “wow, Price is dominating today.” And yet, when it was all said and done, Price worked into the 8th inning, gave up just 2 runs, struck out 6 and walked just 1. Just think what is going to happen when he is on his game…Offense. The Rays have struggled against knuckleballers in general and RA Dickey specifically, including his only complete game last year. On opening day they did a good job of laying off his bad pitches to the tune of 6 walks and 6 runs in 5 innings. And it wasn’t just 1 or 2 guys. Wil Myers, Evan Longoria, Desmond Jennings, and Matt Joyce all had multiple hits.
THE BAD: Zim. I don’t want to speculate, but I am worried about Don Zimmer. He made an appearance before the game and did not look well. Then after the game, Joe Maddon said “The best thing about today was having Zim here with us before the game. He hasn’t been feeling great, but yet he made it out here.” That’s worrisome. Keep Zim in your thoughts…Instant Replay. Not in general. I like expanded instant replay. But I’m worried there are just too many nuances in baseball that will make it horrible. The first thing is how managers now slowly trot out to the umpire and then stare back to the dugout to see if they should challenge. Joe Maddon did this on a pickoff attempt at first base. It’s annoying as hell and is just going to get worse.
THE TELLING: David DeJesus was pulled from the with a right foot contusion. X-Rays were negative, but he is a little sore…Opening Day was a sellout with announced attendance of 31,042. That lower figure is due to the renovations.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The Rays now have a “Flex Pack Cam.” It’s as bad as it sounds. [Davis Williams]
- The “Wil Meyers Bobblehead.” [@JohnnyKatzTB]
- Joe Maddon recently bought drinks for Yankees radio voices Suzyn Waldman and John Sterling. [NY Daily News]
- If anybody ever argues that there are more Yankees or Red Sox fans in the Bay Area, just show them this map. [BI Sports]
- MLB’s $30 million replay center looks impressive. [BI Sports]
- Would the Bucs pass on Johnny Manziel in the draft? [JoeBucsFan]
David DeJesus appears to have a reverse-rat tail.