Joe MaddonThe GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.

RAYS 9, Blue Jays 2 (boxscore)

THE GOOD: Desmond Jennings. He made a catch. He made a sweet slide (see below). And he was on base three times. Not a bad day at all…David Price. At no point was I watching the game and thought “wow, Price is dominating today.” And yet, when it was all said and done, Price worked into the 8th inning, gave up just 2 runs, struck out 6 and walked just 1. Just think what is going to happen when he is on his game…Offense. The Rays have struggled against knuckleballers in general and RA Dickey specifically, including his only complete game last year. On opening day they did a good job of laying off his bad pitches to the tune of 6 walks and 6 runs in 5 innings. And it wasn’t just 1 or 2 guys. Wil Myers, Evan Longoria, Desmond Jennings, and Matt Joyce all had multiple hits.

THE BAD: Zim. I don’t want to speculate, but I am worried about Don Zimmer. He made an appearance before the game and did not look well. Then after the game, Joe Maddon said “The best thing about today was having Zim here with us before the game. He hasn’t been feeling great, but yet he made it out here.” That’s worrisome. Keep Zim in your thoughts…Instant Replay. Not in general. I like expanded instant replay. But I’m worried there are just too many nuances in baseball that will make it horrible. The first thing is how managers now slowly trot out to the umpire and then stare back to the dugout to see if they should challenge. Joe Maddon did this on a pickoff attempt at first base. It’s annoying as hell and is just going to get worse.

THE TELLING: David DeJesus was pulled from the with a right foot contusion. X-Rays were negative, but he is a little sore…Opening Day was a sellout with announced attendance of 31,042. That lower figure is due to the renovations.

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• The Rays now have a “Flex Pack Cam.” It’s as bad as it sounds. [Davis Williams]
  • The “Wil Meyers Bobblehead.”  [@JohnnyKatzTB]
  • Joe Maddon recently bought drinks for Yankees radio voices Suzyn Waldman and John Sterling. [NY Daily News]
  • If anybody ever argues that there are more Yankees or Red Sox fans in the Bay Area, just show them this map. [BI Sports]
  • MLB’s $30 million replay center looks impressive. [BI Sports]
  • Would the Bucs pass on Johnny Manziel in the draft? [JoeBucsFan]

The new center field bar area appeared to be a hit.

2014_3_31_16_10_10 copy

David DeJesus appears to have a reverse-rat tail.

3-31-2014 2-46-08 PM
What the hell, Dickie V.?

Tags

1. Beth says:

I think this sort of performance is vintage Price. Even in his Cy Young year there were few games in which I thought “wow, he is dominant.” That year the standard Price outing was 7+ innings, 4-6 hits, 1-3 runs. It’s the ability to do that time after time that makes him an ace.

• ken says:

I totally agree Beth. The only “wow” moment in his game for me was the Lawrie 10 pitch AB and his reaction walking back to the dugout. Most pitchers would have been elated, Price kept pounding his glove, shaking his head, and growling. What a competitor. RAYS EAT LAST.

2. Mike says:

You’re worried about Zim?! I’m worried about Dickie V. That guy has gone off the reservation! I also think we need to rename The Porch the TK Selfie Patio. That guy has the best job. . .

3. Mr. Smith 1980 says:

I was truly excited about the onset of expanded replay right up until Maddon sauntered out onto the field and the cameras fixed themselves on Davey Martinez in the dugout giving him the “don’t bother” sign. That needs to be nipped in the bud immediately.
    Perhaps they can change the rule to the manager having to call for the replay within 15 seconds of the end of the play or some such limitation. Otherwise, it will make a mockery of the game.

4. Sean says:

That interactive map is a little misleading (with the fan demographics). It’s based on Facebook likes.

Rays may be dominating the Facebook demographic in this area, but there are plenty of people around here that don’t use it and are transients.

5. Amanda says:

Is that a Rays yellow block or a Pirate yellow block in Oklahoma? Also interesting on that map was that block of yellow on the panhandle … I’m pretty sure that’s Leon County.

6. Mark E says:

Didn’t know Zim was in that shape (on oxygen), sad. Price was close to dominating, 90% of the time. Working both sides of the plate for strikes. I was a little disturbed by the dip in speed of his fastball after 85 pitches. I hope it wasn’t due to soreness or a hiding injury. That Jennings slide was totally Matrix. Watching it only in regular speed doesn’t do it justice. The slow-mo GIF should be watched first, then regular speed to appreciate his ninja moves.

7. Lane Meyer says:

The link to the Manziel story is dead

8. Alex says:

I posed this question in another thread, but how is what Joe Mad did in this game different from when managers used to run out on the field and argue for 2 minutes? It’s not. Its just not a big spectacle like everyone is used to so its annoying now? Makes no sense. Its hypocritical

• Cork Gaines says:

How often do you think managers ran out and had a tirade? Maddon might have had 6-8 last year and he does it more often than most. On the other hand there were at least 8 of these on opening day that I counted. This is going to happen far more often than tirades. Oh and at least tirades were entertaining.