Here is a look at how the rotation will shake out in the near and not-so-near future:
- Tonight: Jake Odorizzi (flu) or Enny Romero if Odorizzi is still sick
- Wednesday: David Price (possibly in his final season with the Rays)
- Thursday: Erik Bedard (was a free agent who couldn’t find a big league job 3 weeks ago)
- Friday: Cesar Ramos (was a relief pitcher last week)
- Saturday: Chris Archer
- Sunday: Jake Odorizzi (hopefully)
And here are the injured starting pitchers:
- Matt Moore (out one year, will have Tommy John Surgery)
- Jeremy Hellickson (out until mid-May after elbow surgery)
- Alex Cobb (out 4-6 weeks with oblique strain)
If the Rays do need another starting pitcher, the next two names would likely be Mike Montgomery and Nate Karns. Both are on the 40-man roster and both looked good in their most recent starts.
But that’s not very encouraging.