Royals 4, RAYS 2 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Evan Longoria. Longo is quietly off to a hot start with 4 multi-hit games already including 3 hits last night. And it seems like he is making a Gold Glove-caliber play every night including his diving stop last night.
THE BAD: Matt Moore’s Injury. [you can see GIFs of the injury here] A loss is a loss, but losing Moore is worse. Moore seemed optimistic after the game and we will have to wait until the results of his MRI this morning. But knowing the Rays, it seems pretty clear that Moore is heading to the disabled list. Moore says he only felt it on the last two changeups. However, the fastball just before hurting his arm was just 89 mph after averaging 93 mph up to that point…Heath Bell. The early returns don’t look good. Last night were the first runs he allowed, giving up a bases-clearing double, and of course he hit Omar Infante in the face. But he just hasn’t looked strong in any outing, with just 2 strikeouts of the 23 batters he has faced (5.2 innings). Who knows if this is a problem, but it is hard to ignore the weight issue. Bell has never been a small guy. But to the naked eye he looks even huskier than usual this year. That’s not a problem for some pitchers. For others it can throw off mechanics and just be a sign of lack of conditioning.
THE TELLING: Look for Erik Bedard to be called up if Matt Moore does indeed go on the DL. Cesar Ramos is certainly another option. However, Bedard would be on normal rest having pitched last night for Durham.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The Rays are one of several teams that have made an offer (likely a minor league offer) to Chris Gimenez who recently became a free agent after being cut by the Rangers. [@ChrisCotillo]
- Heath Bell called Omar Infante “a good friend” and says he felt worse than Infante after hitting him in the face. [TampaBay.com]
- Breaking down the Yunel Escobar extension and whether their value in team chemistry. [Fangraphs]
- There is a huge disparity between the amount spent on baseball free agents and the amount spent on NFL free agents. [BI Sports]
- I’m no fan of public marriage proposals unless you are absolutely sure that is what she wants. But maybe this lady really did enjoy being proposed to in front of thousands of strangers after singing the national anthem before a recent Rays game. [MLB.com]
- MINORS [Boxscores] As luck would have it, Erik Bedard started last night which would put him on normal rest if he is needed to replace Matt Moore. He stuck out 5 and walked 1 in 4 innings, allowing just 2 hits and 1 run. Juan Carlos Oviedo pitched a perfect inning with one strikeout. Jerry Sands remains red-hot, with his 2nd home run, his 6th extra-base hit in 5 games. Richie Shaffer hit his 2nd home run of the season for Montgomery, his only 2 hits in 4 games.