Orioles 3, RAYS 0 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Jake Odorizzi. It wasn’t great, but we are desperate for something good at this point and considering the state of the starting pitching the Rays need Odorizzi to be good. After giving up a single to start the game, Odorizzi retired 9 straight before running into trouble in the 4th inning. Odorizzi walked 3 batters and 2 of them scored, included Nelson Cruz to start the 4th inning. Waling the first batter of an inning is a huge no-no. Doing it with Chris Davis on deck is worse.
THE BAD: Wil Myers. Myers went 3-5 on opening day. Since then, he has just 7 hits in 12 games and is hitting .156 (7-45) with 14 strikeouts and 4 walks…The Offense. The Rays have now scored just 14 runs in the last 9 games (1.6 runs per game). Over those 81 innings, the Rays were held scoreless in 71, scored a single run in 6, and scored 2 runs in 4. They have not scored more than 2 runs in an inning since Ryan Hanigan’s 3-run home run against the Rangers on April 4th. And if that seems bad, it actually gets worse. In the last 9 games, the Rays have scored just 9 runs during innings 1-8. Over that span, they are hitting just .191 with a .259 OBP.
THE TELLING: David Price will start tonight, followed by Erik Bedard, Chris Archer, and then Cesar Ramos on Sunday…Don Zimmer underwent a 6-hour surgery to repair a leaky heart valve. He is said to be resting comfortably and will remain hospitalized for several days..
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Stuart Sternberg thinks Tampa is “very attractive on the list” and would like to look at potential stadium sites there as well as “some other parts of the region.” In other words, nothing has changed. [TBO.com]
- During yesterday’s game, the tribute to Jackie Robinson led to some confusion from the stadium announcer. I guess all the right-handed hitting white guys on the Rays’ bench look alike. [BI Sports]
- Durham Bulls charts are back. [WDBB]
- How diversity in Major League Baseball has changed since Jackie Robinson. [BI Sports]
- Down On The Farm [boxscores]: Mike Montgomery did not get out of the 3rd inning, givingup 5 runs on 4 hits and 5 walks. Wilson Betemit went 2-4 and hit his 3rd home run. Jerry Sands was 1-5 with a double…In double-A, Jared Mortensen tossed 5 shutout innings and Jeff Malm hit his first home run of the season…Josh Sale went 2-5 for Carlotte and is 7-34 (.206) to start the season.