USATSI_7872966_154511044_lowresThe GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.

Orioles 3, RAYS 0 (boxscore)

THE GOOD: Jake Odorizzi. It wasn’t great, but we are desperate for something good at this point and considering the state of the starting pitching the Rays need Odorizzi to be good. After giving up a single to start the game, Odorizzi retired 9 straight before running into trouble in the 4th inning. Odorizzi walked 3 batters and 2 of them scored, included Nelson Cruz to start the 4th inning. Waling the first batter of an inning is a huge no-no. Doing it with Chris Davis on deck is worse.

THE BAD: Wil Myers. Myers went 3-5 on opening day. Since then, he has just 7 hits in 12 games and is hitting .156 (7-45) with 14 strikeouts and 4 walks…The Offense. The Rays have now scored just 14 runs in the last 9 games (1.6 runs per game). Over those 81 innings, the Rays were held scoreless in 71, scored a single run in 6, and scored 2 runs in 4. They have not scored more than 2 runs in an inning since Ryan Hanigan’s 3-run home run against the Rangers on April 4th. And if that seems bad, it actually gets worse. In the last 9 games, the Rays have scored just 9 runs during innings 1-8. Over that span, they are hitting just .191 with a .259 OBP.

THE TELLING: David Price will start tonight, followed by Erik Bedard, Chris Archer, and then Cesar Ramos on Sunday…Don Zimmer underwent a 6-hour surgery to repair a leaky heart valve. He is said to be resting comfortably and will remain hospitalized for several days..

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• Stuart Sternberg thinks Tampa is “very attractive on the list” and would like to look at potential stadium sites there as well as “some other parts of the region.” In other words, nothing has changed. [TBO.com]
  • During yesterday’s game, the tribute to Jackie Robinson led to some confusion from the stadium announcer. I guess all the right-handed hitting white guys on the Rays’ bench look alike. [BI Sports]
  • Durham Bulls charts are back. [WDBB]
  • How diversity in Major League Baseball has changed since Jackie Robinson. [BI Sports]
  • Down On The Farm [boxscores]: Mike Montgomery did not get out of the 3rd inning, givingup 5 runs on 4 hits and 5 walks. Wilson Betemit went 2-4 and hit his 3rd home run. Jerry Sands was 1-5 with a double…In double-A, Jared Mortensen tossed 5 shutout innings and Jeff Malm hit his first home run of the season…Josh Sale went 2-5 for Carlotte and is 7-34 (.206) to start the season.

Tags

1. JMN says:

Well the guidance of Shelton has finally gotten to Myers. It took some time but his magic is finally working.

2. Jay r el says:

I agree. The faces of this roster change, but the approach and results always seem the same. Derek Shelton somehow always manages to have a job here. Wil Myers looks like a teener leaguer who has never seen a breaking ball or timed up a fastball in his life. He also comes off as non-caring which drives me nuts. If he wants to be cocky and have a bat flip he better start backing it up-

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

From everything I've heard Myers is a really dedicated and a hard-worker. His aloof attitude at the plate is a carry-over of his aloof, not much going on upstairs, typical personality. Not everyone has Mike Singletary type focus in their eyes, and nasty intentions that can be seen on their face like Willy Aybar, but I can assure you Myers is not in a place where he doesn't care about this slump.

• Sarah says:

I think it's pretty presumptuous for fans to assume that players don't care about performance just because they don't choose to share their frustrations with the public.

3. ali says:

This all has to do with never having a consistant lineup. We've never had a great offense because we've never had the same lineup in the Maddon era.

• Sarah says:

I've never understood this argument. Why would my performance vary depending on whether I'm hitting fourth or fifth? Same pitcher, same home plate, same bat. Even a lead off hitter is only guaranteed to lead off one inning. Maybe I care about who is hitting before and after me -- that may influence the pitches I see - but otherwise, what's the difference?

4. Mr. Smith 1980 says:

Myers should probably take a few days off and watch more tape of how badly his hip is leaking out ahead of his swing. BA was reading my mind last night. When he started talking about it I had just gotten done boring Mrs. Smith with the same diatribe about how his hips are waaaay out of sync...

5. Jason says:

Can a writer from the bay area please write an article about getting rid of Derek Shelton and also show some stats about what has happened since he's taken over. I recall when Johnny Damon came to the clubhouse he told the rays the game tape on them is throw strikes cause they won't swing waiting for the walk. This approach to scoring runs is atrocious and it starts in 2010 with Derek Shelton being hired.

6. Joe Dunn says:

Jason - - - send tweet or email to the writers

i agree

7. Gus says:

To defned Shleton, can I offer as Exhibit A: Upton, Bossman Jr. in Atlanta. The fact they he coaxed BJ to an OBP over .320 and got 20-something HRs out of him now looks like he's a miracle worker.

Rebuttal: Shelton so messed up Upton up as a hitter that he's not-fixable.

Exactly how long and how low must Jose Molina hit until he is out of a job? If this was a good offensive team, you could maybe consider giving up an out. But he never walks anymore, can't run and can't hit. The Mendoza line has been recast as the Molina line. He is in 2014, I believe, the worst offensive player I have ever seen in my lifetime.

• Sarah says:

Well, it was some other coach that "helped" the Rays falls victim to perfect games not once but twice in 2009.

I think it's much more likely that a hitting coach does nothing than that he causes damage. But he makes an easy scapegoat when the team does poorly. Mind you, I'm not defending Shelton. I just don't think that a single one of us posting here can say with any certainty whether the poor offense of the last two weeks is his responsibility.

• Dave L says:

Everytime we struggle for a few games its fire Shelton.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............................

Guess what? Fire Shelton and you will get a Shelton Jr.

Know why? Shelton teaches the theory of hitting that Maddon and AF (who are joined at the hip in baseball theory) believe in and how they want players to approach at bats.

Fact 1 : Rays on a limited budget have always had limited talent offensively while focusing on developing pitching and taking plus defenders with mediocre bats.

Fact 2 : Rays consistantly out produce runs wise the collective batting numbers of the players due to working the count.

Fact 3: All the ex Rays post 2010 Shelton era SUCK WAY WORSE offensively elsewhere and had career years WITH Shelton

Can someone please explain away Fact 3??? I'm not saying he's the Ted Williams of hitting coaches but he's not the problem either.

Our hitting talent isn't as good as you think and hasnt been