RAYS 7, Twins 3 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: David Price. Price pitched the Rays’ first complete game of the season and his first in which he allowed 3 runs. But outside of the 4th inning, he was cruising. Of the 7 base runners he allowed, 4 came in the 4th inning. Overall he struck out 12, walked one, and took one close call line drive back up the middle…David DeJesus. By all accounts, DeJesus was not pressing and was not showing any pressure of going 2 weeks without a hit. But he broke through in a big way last night with 3 hits and 3 RBI and a smile that went ear-to-ear.
THE BAD: Umpires. I’m not sure how 4 umpires lose track of the count. It’s bad that an umpiring crew needs replay to figure it out. It’s even worse that they use replay and still get it wrong which is exactly what happened with Yunel Escobar in the 5th inning (see video below).
THE TELLING: Desmond Jennings was back in the lineup after battling a sore groin…Hak-Ju Lee was activated off the triple-A DL…Despite the rough start to the season, the Rays still have a 56.4% chance of making the playoffs, tops in the AL East and the 4th best mark in the AL…All 10 of the Rays’ wins have come in either their white jersey (7) or their navy jersey (3). They are winless in 4 games wearing grey or sky blue…Juan Carlos Oviedo was activated off the DL. He has not pitched in a big league game since 2011…Matt Moore had his Tommy John surgery on Tuesday.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Most baseball brawls are dumb and MLB needs to do more. It is telling that the NHL, which embraces fighting, actually does more to keep the fighting under control than baseball. [BI Sports]
- Wil Myers talks about his slump and fighting through it. [TampaBay.com]
- Meeting Kelly Nash and Todd Kalas. [Aery Sports]
- Sam Fuld was back at the Trop as a visitor and was momentarily confused about which clubhouse to enter. [TampaBay.com]
- Joe is all over Bucs minicamp. [JoeBucsFan]
- DOWN ON THE FARM [boxscores] Merrill Kelly struck out 7, walked none, and allowed just 1 run in 6 innings. It was his 3rd straight strong start. Justin Christian hit his 3rd home run and Mike Fontenot had 3 hits including a pair of doubles. In single-A, Reinaldo Lopez struck out 9 in 6.1 innings and allowed just 1 run. First baseman Patrick Leonard hit his 4th home run. In low-A, Blake Snell threw 6 shutout innings with 3 strikeouts and 2 walks.
The pitchers did their jump-and-bump and Price made sure Alex Cobb didn’t fall this time.