RAYS 4, Orioles 4 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Cool Gesture. There was a couple at last night’s game celebrating their 50th anniversary. The Rays surprised them on the field with the jerseys seen in the photo at right…Will’s Golder Glove. I would be surprised if Wil Myers ever wins a Gold Glove (something Joe Maddon has challenged him to do). But he is getting better. He has had a couple of shaky moments in the outfield this spring, but he has also made a couple of plays that suggest he is getting more confident, including a diving grab last night. His feet actually slipped out from under him (see below) and he still made the grab.
THE BAD: None today.
THE TELLING: The Rays have released Mark Lowe. He is open to returning and accepting an assignment to triple-A…Andrew Friedman hinted that some players who were cut were VERY unhappy: “There were a lot of very spirited conversations”.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- I know all of you are here for the Rays, not me. But for the 5 or 6 of you who are curious to know more about me and how I do my work, I pulled back the curtain for Next Impulse Sports. Link includes a photo of my office set-up which I do get asked about a lot. [Next Impulse Sports]
- Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn on St. Pete Mayor: “I wouldn’t mind [having] his baseball team.” [@StadiumShadow]
- This data does not include Tropicana Field because it used satellite images, but this is a look at how big fair territory is in 27 of the 30 ballparks. Coors Field is 14,000 square feet bigger than Fenway Park. [BI Sports]
- ESPN the Magazine predicts the Rays will win the AL East and the World Series because of their chemistry. [ESPN.com]
- Jonny Gomes ordered some ridiculous blazers for the Red Sox to wear to the White House. [@MLBFanCave]
- One of the Rays’ top prospects is catcher Nick Ciuffo. Here is a quick interview with him. [Biscuit Crumbs]