In the science community, a meta-analysis is what we do when we take the work of a bunch of other people and paint a bigger and more accurate picture. In other words, instead of taking the opinion of one expert, we average the opinions of several experts.
Here are the Tampa Bay Rays top 16 prospects for 2014 (notes can be seen below)…
A few notes on the prospect rankings…
- Last year, Wil Myers was the unanimous selection as top prospect. This year, three of the top four prospects were chosen as the top prospect by at least one expert.
- Alex Colome will miss the first 50 games of the season after testing positive for steroids.
- Nick Cuiffo, Nate Karns, Andrew Toles, Ryan Brett, and Kevin Kiermaier are all new to the top 10 this year.
- Wil Myers, Chris Archer, and Drew Vettleson came off the list. Richie Shaffer and Blake Snell fell out of the top ten.
- Of the players who were on the list last year, Enny Romero made the biggest jump, moving up four spots.
- The final list includes all players that appeared in the top 10 of at least one list.
- Some players did not appear on every list. For players not on a list, we gave that player a ranking of 2 spots lower than the lowest ranked player in the list for the purpose of calculating the final average. Three of the prospect lists came out before the Rays acquired Nate Karns. So his average only includes the two lists on which he appeared.