Also, the Rays played in Montgomery on Saturday against the Biscuits, which produced this amazing photo of Ben Zobrist wearing a Biscuit Head (via the Tampa Bay Rays).
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- The Rays sold Jayson Nix to the Phillies. Coincidentally, Nix appears to have been acquired to replace Reid Brignac. [MLBTR]
- Josh Sale has been reinstated from his suspension and is on the opening day roster for single-A Charlotte.
- Themed road trips this season will include “Woodstock” (to Seattle) and “Tuxedos…[with] jeans and sneakers.” [TampaBay.com]
- Yunel Escobar changed agents. I wonder if it has anything to do with the awful contract he is playing under right now ($5 million per season)? [@Ken_Rosenthal]
- Jose Molina will start today, but Ryan Hanigan will get the majority of starts this season. Joe Maddon says the opposing pitcher will be more of a factor than who is starting for the Rays. [TampaBay.com]
- “20 things you might not know about the Rays.” I knew 5, although only 19 really have anything to do with the Rays. [TBO.com]
- This weekend’s series in Montreal has kinda, sorta got people talking about moving the Rays to Montreal again. Of course, that is not the worst thing in the world, as that is usually how teams eventually get new stadiums in their home cities. [Shadow of the Stadium]
- Jayson Stark says the Rays will win the World Series. You will also want to read the quotes from scouts on the rotation, especially Alex Cobb (“He’d be a No. 1 on a lot of clubs…”). [ESPN.com]
- 5 ESPN writers pick David Price to win the Cy Young, 1 picked Matt Moore and 1 picked Alex Cobb. 2 writers picked Evan Longoria to win the MVP.
- Here’s a Q&A with Stuart Sternberg. He got to level 23 in Flappy Bird. [TampaBay.com]
- Rays start the season 4th in this Power Ranking. [BI Sports]
- Joe Maddon did a Q&A with Montgomery Biscuit fans and VIPs. Among his comments was how he got started with his trademark glasses. [Montgomery Advertiser]
- Here’s a good read on Chris Archer and his journey to the big leagues. [SportsOnEarth]
- However, Archer says some of the items “did not portray [him] accurately.” [TampaBay.com]
- The Yankees no longer have the largest payroll in baseball. [BI Sports]
- Here’s a cool video of Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig. [BI Sports]