RAYS 7, Orioles 4 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Wil Myers. Maybe it is a coincidence, but Myers moved to the leadoff spot and suddenly became red-hot. After starting the spring 4-26, Myers is 5-7 in two games leading off…Offense. It’s just the spring, but this is starting to look like it could be the best hitting team in franchise history. The Rays have scored at least 6 runs in 5 straight games and are 4th among AL clubs with a .802 OPS. They are also 4th with 20 home runs.
THE BAD: Defense. What a sh*t-show that was yesterday. Adam Jones stole two bases on the same play because nobody covered third base on the shift. Logan Forsythe dove for a ball that landed in a different area code. Jayson Nix had a throwing error. And the Rays gave up a run when Jake McGee got lazy with a runner on third base and didn’t catch a poor throw back from the catcher.
THE TELLING: Matt Joyce left the game early with a stiff neck.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- There was one bizarre play in yesterday’s game that shows how umpires will call games differently in the expanded replay era. It also means players will have to play defense differently and more injuries are going to happen. [BI Sports]
- We’ve discussed this before that Brandon Guyer is going to make the team. Now Joe Maddon sounds like Guyer is going to make it without actually saying Guyer has made it. [TBO.com]
- Scary scene last night when Aroldis Chapman was struck in the face by a linedrive. [BI Sports]
- Four years after his last big league appearance, former Rays pitcher Seth McClung is attempting a comeback. [TampaBay.com]
- Here is a review of the Rays’ off-season moves. [MLBTR]
- Johnny Football to the Bucs? [JoeBucsFan]
Here is one of the shirts the Rays will be wearing this year, a tribute to the late-70s Pittsburgh Pirates.
— Evan Longoria (@Evan3Longoria) March 16, 2014
MLB Network analyst Marlon Anderson talks about Wil Myers…