RAYS 4, Pirates 1 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Brandon Guyer. Guyer, who is fighting for one of the final bench spots and possibly as a part-time DH, showed some of his pop with a pair of doubles.
THE BAD: Matt Moore. Yesterday’s start was better than the last one, but it still wasn’t great. The biggest concern is the control. Moore walked 3 in 3.1 innings and threw 35 balls to only 34 strikes.
THE TELLING: The Rays cut 8 more players after yesterday’s game, including pitchers Jeff Beliveau, Nathan Karns, CJ Riefenshauser, Kirby Yates as well as Vince Belnome, Kevin Kiermaier, Hak-Ju Lee, and Mikie Mahtook. There spring roster is now 44 players, including Juan Carlos Oviedo…The Rays will play at Disney today for the first time since their regular season series in 2008…No surprise here, but David Price has been named the opening day starter…Jeremy Hellickson had his first throwing session since elbow surgery in January.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Juan Carlos Oviedo has resolved his visa issues and is expected in camp today or tomorrow. [TampaBay.com]
- The Rays need a new stadium. Can they have this one, please? [SI.com]
- Tampa Bay Baseball Market has some comments regarding our recent post on payroll and attendance, which can be seen here. [Tampa Bay Baseball Market]
- The Bucs have spent a lot of money in free agency, second only to the Broncos. [BI Sports]
- Here’s a video on prospect Mikie Mahtook, whom I have always described as a bigger Sam Fuld.