5 days until Rays pitchers and catchers report.
18 days until the first spring training game.
49 days until opening day.
A few odds and ends to kick off the week…
- Stephen Nohlgren and Richard Danielson, along with the Tampa mayor, explain why Lightning owner Jeff Vinik might not want a baseball stadium on his property in Channelside. Rather, Buckhorn speculates that land just north of that area might be better suited. [TampaBay.com]
- Marc Topkin has the Rays’ top 30 prospects list from Baseball America. [TampaBay.com]
- John Tomase says the Rays are still the biggest threats to the Red Sox in the East. [Boston Herald]
- David Shoenfield ranks the Rays as the fourth best team in baseball, behind only the Cardinals, Tigers, and Nationals. [ESPN.com]
- Jonny Gomes now has a gigantic Red Sox tattoo on his back. Anybody still want him back with the Rays now? [NextImpulseSports]
- Roger Mooney takes a closer look at who will DH this season for the Rays (hint: everybody). [TBO.com]
Joe Maddon turned 60 this weekend and then did a promo video for the Rays with a spoof of Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy’s famous “I’M A MAN, I’M 40!” rant.