Football season is now over and pitchers and catchers report in two weeks. Two weeks after that we will have actual games. But before we get to that, there was one thing I noticed during the weeks leading up to the Super Bowl that is Rays related:
Pete Carroll is Football Joe Maddon.
I must have watched a half-dozen sit-down interviews with Carroll this past 1-2 weeks and somehow I had never realized just how much his personality and coaching style are similar to that of Maddon.
Both are passionate, intelligent, and innovative. Both coaches try to enhance the unique personalities of individual players instead of trying to suppress them. Most of the time, both seem like they are having more fun than everybody else. Yet, at the same time, both are perfectly capable of coming down hard on the players or officials.
There are tons of videos out there, but here is one short one. Watch this and see how much he sounds like Maddon during the interview.
A few odds and ends to start the week…
- The Rays added infielder Wilson Betemit on a minor league contract with an invite to spring training. The 11-year veteran only played in six games for the Orioles in 2013.
- The Rays also signed outfielder Jeremy Moore and re-signed pitcher Juan Sandoval to minor league deals. [TampaBay.com]
- The Rays still need to figure out what to do with Jose Lobaton and they don’t appear to be in a hurry to do so (they never are). [TBO.com]
- Only 12 teams spent more on free agents this winter than the Rays. So, for those that always want the Rays to open the vault, just be grateful they are not the Diamondbacks or Braves. [BI Sports]
- The Durham Bulls took a shot at the Denver Broncos after the Super Bowl. [@DurhamBulls]
- The NFL Network basically just shut down during the Super Bowl. They didn’t even show re-runs. [BI Sports]