The Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs, the triple-A affiliate of the Phillies, released a new uniform set that includes a bacon cap and a bacon jersey (see at right, click for a larger view). The uniform was a bit of an internet sensation.
And then the Durham Bulls chimed in on Twitter:
.@IronPigs You put bacon on your unis, we put championship patches. To each their own.
— Durham Bulls (@DurhamBulls) February 26, 2014
BOOM. Shots fired.
The Iron Pigs responded with an irrelevant reference to having a bigger attendance in 2013, because apparently that is all anybody can use against the Rays and their affiliates.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Ben Zobrist is working out again but in a limited fashion as he battles a sore back. Cesar Ramos will start the spring opener on Friday followed by David Price on Saturday and Alex Cobb on Sunday. Things can certainly change, but Joe Maddon likes to get his pitchers on normal rest early in the spring in preparation for the opening week of the season. This suggests Cobb will be the #2 starter, which makes sense since that would split up the lefties with Matt Moore likely starting on Monday and slotting in as the #3 starter and Chris Archer as the #4 starter.
- Adam Rubin of ESPN says the Rays nearly traded for young Mariners second baseman Nick Franklin. However, the injury to Jeremy Hellickson killed the deal. This likely means that the Mariners would have received a minor league pitcher and the Rays suddenly did not want to give up some of their pitching depth. [AdamRubinESPN]
- CC Sabathia has lost a ton of weight. The last picture in this set is shocking. [BI Sports]
- SI.com writes about Erik Bedard competing for a spot in the rotation. Joe Maddon says he can be “better than a .500 pitcher” pitching in front of the Rays defense. [SI.com]
- LeBron James makes more in endorsements than the top ten MLB players combined. [BI Chart]
- BRaysball Talk predicts the 2014 AL East. [BRaysball Talk]
- BJ Upton is entering the season with yet another “clean slate.” [MLB]