RHollenbergThe Rays have hired Rich Hollenberg (right) to be the new pre-game and post-game host, replacing Barry LeBrock.

Hollenberg will continue to work during the off-seasons as a basketball play-by-play commentator for ESPN and a reporter for the NFL Network.

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• The Rays have finalized their minor league coaching staffs. Here’s the complete roundup. [TampaBay.com]
  • Here is another top prospects list that includes just two Rays in the top 100, Enny Romero (no. 90) and Jake Odorizzi (no. 92). [BaseballPro]
  • Elliot Johnson has signed a minor league deal with the Indians and will be with them in Spring Training. [MLBTR]
  • The popularity of baseball has fallen sharply since the mid-1980s. However, it has held steady over the last decade. [BI Sports]

Tags

1. Geoff Peterson says:

Dear Barry – Please take BA with you

• Mr. Smith 1980 says:

BA is good. Way better than his most recent predecessor (Kennedy), and, as much as everyone loves him in retrospect, more substantive than his even earlier predecessor (Magrane). I’m not sure if those of you who don’t like him have every had to deal with the ham-and-egg-ers that other teams have, but he’s not bad at all in comparison. He’s actually very adept at informing Rays’ fans about opposing players, a skill that most homer-esque color commentators don’t do. They (most others) just regurgitate the same stuff about the players we are already familiar with.

Sure he spends time late in boring, one-sided games indulging in stories about himself, but who cares- it’s better than digging up some obscure stats on the opposing, recently called-up for the first time, relief pitcher that has overcome obstacle x to accomplish y… fluff is fluff and all color guys have to do it.

• Scott P says:

Mr. Smith 1980:

I agree with you, I like BA much more than the past color guy’s. To me he is like talking to a buddy in a sports bar. Fun to listen to and I don’t find myself tuning him out.

• Beth says:

I’m with Mr. Smith. I learn a lot from BA. His silly side is mostly reserved for the 5 hour long lopsided games, and honestly what sort of commentary would you want in those circumanstances?

• TOM says:

Mr. Smith, couldn’t agree with you more. I think BA is very entertaining & calls it like it is.

• Geoff Peterson says:

BA is a buffoon. He spends far too much time telling everyone how wonderful the opposing pitcher seems to be, often times while the Rays are pounding him. He continues on this inning after boring inning and then gets DeWayne off on silly tangents and gets the giggles so bad over nonsense that he has to hit the dump button. BA is not even in Magrane’s league and how quickly many of you forget that. Kennedy hated it here and it showed in his work. I get that same sense from BA sometimes as it seems he’s trying to audition for other jobs.

• CharlieRay says:

BA = Low average with the Rays Fans and should be DF’d

2. Mike says:

GEOFF, looks to me like you are outnumbered Bro….I agree with the masses, keep BA

• Geoff Peterson says:

There’s no accounting for taste. He’s not the worst I’ve heard (Cough HAWK, Cough…) but I think there are better options.

3. Mr. Smith 1980 says:

It can’t really be a matter of right or wrong when it comes to personal preference, but I think that undermining his talent because it doesn’t agree with personal taste is kind of silly.

• Geoff Peterson says:

BA having talent is your opinion. I think he panders to the less educated fan and is always fawning over the opponents. He rarely speaks well of the Rays players. He seems to be auditioning for a job elsewhere. Also his giggling and guffawing get old and it’s not only in games where it’s late or the score is lopsided. I find him a buffoon.

• Dave L says:

I was 100% in your camp in 2011. I have to say he got a little better last year. Nobody pines for his immediate predecessor, that sourpuss skipper. So it definitely could be worse.

He certainly has enthusiasm and energy. I get the impression his dream job is with the Indians for some reason. Thats always his touchpoint– Cleveland —God help him….