Today is the non-tender deadline for the Rays and their nine arbitration-eligible players. According to Roger Mooney of TBO.com, the Rays are expected to tender all nine players.
This is an important date for Rays players with at least three years of big league experience but less than six years. Players in this range no longer make at or close to the big league minimum salary. Rather, if they do not have a long-term contract they have their salary decided by an arbitrator. The catch is, if the Rays don’t think the player is worthy of being paid an arbitration-level salary, the Rays can choose to “non-tender” that player, making them a free agent.
There are three possibilities for players that are tendered a contract: 1) they will have their 2014 salary determined by an arbitrator; 2) they negotiate a
long-term contract (1-year or long-term); or 3) they can be traded.
The Rays nine arbitration-eligible players are David Price, Jeremy Hellickson, Jake McGee, Cesar Ramos, Wesley Wright, Matt Joyce, Sam Fuld, Sean Rodriguez, and Jose Lobaton.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- It’s Cyber-Monday, so it is a good day to order stuff from the Rays shop as well as the minor league affiliates if you have been wanting anything. The Durham Bulls have 30% off orders with code bullschamps13. The Rays are having a buy-one-get-second for 50% off. The Princeton Rays have everything 20% off. I haven’t seen any deals for the other affiliates yet.
- The Rays have re-signed Juan Carlos Oviedo to a 1-year major league deal. He is expected to be healthy in spring training. The Rays declined a $2 million option on Oviedo so it is safe to assume they re-signed him for less than that. [Marc Topkin]
- Here is the official spring training schedule. [TampaBay.com]
- According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, the Rays have already received “many inquiries” on David Price but so far the offers not worth trading their ace. [Boston.com]
- According to Andy Martino of the NY Daily News, the Rays do like Ike Davis of the Mets, but they also like first baseman Mitch Moreland of the Rangers, who could be included in a potential David Price deal. [NY Daily News]
- According to Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish, the Rays have shown interest in reliever Luis Ayala. Ayala has spent nine seasons in the big leagues including the 2013 season split between the Orioles and the Braves. In 2013 he had a 3.27 ERA in 33.0 innings with 22 stirkeouts and 13 walks. [MLB Daily Dish]
- Some lawyers are banking on the Rays leaving The Trop. [SaintPetersBlog]
- Reid Brignac is engaged to a playmate. Of course, they have been dating for years and already have a child together, but congrats, I guess. [BustedCoverage]
- A couple of NFL players raced some cheetahs at Busch Gardens. One of the players actually won. Here’s video. [BI Sports]
- Mike Glennon had a rough Sunday. [JoeBucsFan]