Here are a few more minor notes:
- One thing to keep an eye with any David Price trade is the Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp. When asked if the Mariners could trade for both Price and Matt Kemp, M’s GM Jack Zduriencik told the MLB Network “that would be challenging.” In other words, if the M’s get Kemp, they will likely no longer be able to trade for Price.
- One name that has been mentioned as a possibility in a David Price-to-the-Angels deal is Mark Trumbo. However, Trumbo was traded today to the Diamondbacks. [MLBTR]
- That Diamondbacks deal could also mean they are no longer involved in the David Price talks. While Arizona still has pitching prospect Archie Bradley, they included another pitching prospect (Tyler Skaggs) in the deal for Trumbo. The D-Backs could deal two top pitching prospects, but that would seem unlikely.
- We’ve now got our first update on Fernando Rodney’s free agency with the Mariners expressing interest. Jon Morosi notes that Rodney had a good relationship with new Mariners manager Lloyd McClendon from when both were with Detroit. [Jon Morosi]
- The Pirates and James Loney are still talking. [Buster Olney]
- We know the Rays are interested in trading for Logan Morrison. Now we know the Rays are not alone as there are six other teams interested in acquiring the Marlins first baseman. [Juan C. Rodriguez]
- The Rays are also one of seven teams to show interest in Eric Chavez. Yes, he is still playing baseball. He’ll be 36 next season and can play first base, although he has only played on that side of the diamond 21 times in his career. [Jon Heyman]