The Rookie of the Year awards will be announced tonight and Wil Myers is the favorite to win in the American League.
But does anybody care? Sure, Rays fans care. But thanks to Major League Baseball being Major League Baseball, the awards are being stretched out over several weeks, effectively boring other fans into not caring.
I’m not sure if I want an awards show, although that would certainly be better than this. But there is no reason why we need to wait two weeks after the World Series and there is no reason why we need to announce finalists the week before. This isn’t the Heisman Trophy. Just make the announcements and move forward.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- ESPN Stats & Info breaks down the Rookie of the Year candidates. [ESPN]
- Wil Myers was the runaway winner of the IBA’s Rookie of the Year award. Chris Archer finished third. [BaseballProspectus]
- Buster Olney is the latest to write that this is the best time to trade David Price. [ESPN Insider]
- The Phillies have “kicked around” the idea of trading for David Price according to Buster Olney. Of course, I’d be surprised if all 29 other teams haven’t at least “kicked around” the idea. [Fox Sports]
- The Rays are one of five teams that has shown interest in signing The Mad Australian, Grant Balfour. [MLBTR]
- Buster Olney notes that the Rays have shown interest in Reds catcher Ryan Hanigan in the past and he could be available now. [Buster Olney]
- Some have argued that the Tampa-St. Pete area is not big enough for three pro sports teams. But based on this, three is the perfect number based on the size of the market. [BI Sports]
- The Braves are leaving Turner Field for a new stadium in Cobb County. [ESPN]
- Did you know the Rays have other owners besides Stuart Sternberg? It’s true! One of them is selling this house in Philly. [BustedCoverage]
- Here’s video of Tom Brady and Bill Belichick making fun of how short the Red Sox players are. [BI Sports]
- What would the Rays look like as a football team? Here’s your answer. [BRaysball Talk]
- Will the Bucs finally get their first win tonight? Of course, with the mess in Miami, nobody cares about the game, but this could be a good shot to knock a team off that is dealing with off-field problems. [JoeBucsFan]