Now that the World Series is over we will start to ramp-up the off-season coverage. Like most seasons, there are a lot of changes that need to be made. Most of the moves will be at the back-end of the roster and will barely register on the national radar. And then there is David Price and Jeremy Hellickson. Will one of them be traded? Both? Until then, here are a few links…
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- All 4 infielders were finalists for the Gold Glove at their position and all four did not win. Gold Gloves are dumb.
- Freddy Guzman has been removed from the 40-man roster and will become a minor league free agent.
- Andrew Friedman and Joe Maddon are now the longest-tenured manager-GM duo in baseball. [TampaBay.com]
- I wrote something about David Ortiz and steroids. Red Sox fans weren’t happy. It’s like they think I just made up his positive test. [BI Sports]
- Joe Maddon’s entire coaching staff are now free agents but they are all expected to be back. That is, unless Dave Martinez is hired as a manager. Detroit and Washington seem to be the two best shots for Martinez now. If Martinez does leave, it will be interesting to see who would become Maddon’s next bench coach. Durham Bulls manager Charlie Montoyo deserves a shot, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he will get it. Maddon made it clear in 2008, when he replaced Bill Evers with Martinez, that it is important that his bench coach have the right personality. Also, has Montoyo ever been “called up” in September? I don’t think he has even though the Rays can (and do) add coaches, often from the minors. You would think Maddon would want to give Montoyo a test-drive. [Marc Topkin]
- What would the Rangers have to give up to trade for David Price? [Konsume] and [LoneStarBall]
- A poll asked St. Pete residents about the Rays stadium mess. [BayNews9]
- The St. Pete mayoral candidates offer opinions on how to handle the Rays’ stadium situation. [ABC Action News]
- Can the Bucs win five of their last nine games? I think it is more likely that they lose all nine. [JoeBucsFan]