USATSI_7088594_154511044_lowresDuring game three of the ALDS, two pop-ups hit the catwalks and were ruled foul balls, one of which was caught by Red Sox catcher Jarrod Skulletamacchia. Shortly thereafter Peter Gammons, who has a history of ripping the Rays, their stadium, and their fans, took to the Twitter waves to do it again

“Maybe if the Rays played in an amusement park rather than this joke they’d do better than be last in the majors in attendance”

FACT #1: The pinball machine known as Fenway park affects more balls in play every year by 500-fold than the catwalks and has impacted more playoff games and pennant races in a negative manner than the Trop ever will (Bucky Dent, anybody?).

FACT #2: As recently as the 1980s, the Red Sox consistently finished between fifth and ninth in the AL in attendance. Attendance for Roger Clemens’ 20-strikeout game in 1986 was 13,414.

FACT #3: If The Trop was 100 yrs old it would be quirky and iconic. If Fenway was 25 yrs old it would be a piece of sh*t.

Gammons has always been a Red Sox fan, and that’s fine. I just don’t know when he morphed into the angry unabashed Masshole. Maybe if Gammons actually had to pay $100 for a Fenway seat that faces towards the outfield and requires a shoehorn to get into he would be a little more sympathetic. And maybe if he had to sit in the rain and cold and pee into a trough he would shut the hell up.

1. JMN says:

I don't think a ball hit any of the catwalks all season, at least the games I watched. If it did, it was only once or twice, if that. But those dang catwalks are a magnet when playing a national game and it was bound to happen. As far as ripping the Trop, this guy Gammons needs to go sit in the stands in Al Lang, uncovered portion in the middle of August for a Sunday day game. Then he can go watch a game in the Trop. I guarantee you he would choose the Trop 10 times out of 10. Fenway reminds me of a race car track and that enlarged shed wall in left field is a joke.

2. Dean says:

Peter Gammons is still alive?

3. s says:

"On a side note, I can’t even remember the last time a ball hit the catwalks this season and yet it seemingly ALWAYS happens during the playoffs. Unreal."
    I was thinking the exact same thing. after watching the cool 3d(the best thing about the TBS broadcast), suddenly I realized what the rest of the world thought of the trop. I hate all things boston, and admit that fenway is a complete POS, but are there any other stadiums that have special rules.

FACT #3 I've attended about a dozen games in Fenway, the inside corridors have a overwhelmingly odor of PISS.

FACT #4 $50 to park anywhere close, and you'll be completely blocked in and have to wait until all the cars around you to leave.

4. Joe says:

Does the man have a direct email address? I know he works for NESN and MLB Network. I find his comments deplorable and asinine as well as biased and unintelligent.

I would like to write the man. His comments about Rays radio ratings still sting. I do think he is working with Rays' insiders in forming his beliefs. It's a shame he is held in regard because Peter is living off the reputation he made in the 1970's as the father of the baseball beat. The man is out of touch. I am sincere and serious in that conclusion. As someone who came from Boston, I would tell him no less. He has an agenda against the fans and the market. I would love to give him an intellectual attitude adjustment.

5. Sean says:

Let's be honest, is there anybody outside the northeast that DOESN'T think Fenway is a f***ing retarded excuse for a ballpark?

By the Gammons, it took the Red Sox 66 years to have a 30k average in a season. What a model fanbase.

• Political_Man says:

That's the reason I despise the Red Sox over the Yankees. The Yankees still play the Star Wars bit at home games because of all the complaining the Red Sox did about the Yankees being the "evil empire" and all the money they spent. Then they turn around and become the Yankees. There is no difference between these two franchises anymore.

And the point about the effects of Fenway and the replica Yankee stadium on the game itself vs affects the Trop has on the game itself are not even close. You don't see the Rays signing or drafting guys that try and take advantage of how different our ballpark is.

I find Red Sox and Yankees fans to be some of the most uneducated, mind numbed robots in sports. The fact that Gammons is a "journalist" is one of the reasons for that.

6. Amanda says:

FACT: Fenway Park wasn't sold out for Ted Williams' last game.

7. JT says:

Peter Gammons is washed up. His complete lack of objectivity is astounding. No one outside of Red Sux nation cares what he has to say. His views on the games are simply outdated. Corporate support is what leads to sell outs. Why doesn't Gammons mention that no team sells more walk ups(individuals who buy tickets upon arrival to the stadium) than ANY team in the majors! People care about this team. Gammons leads the one sided agenda to convince America otherwise. Get a grip old man. The Red Sux have played second fiddle to The Rays for 4 years now. Suck it!

8. Wade says:

Interesting that he forgets that many balls throughout the season get "lost" in the sun at all the other stadiums. NOBODY complains about that though...

9. MJ says:

it's not just playoff games, it seems like it's any nationally televised game.

10. s says:

my biggest bitch in this entire attendance bullshit is the Cleveland Indians. They have a modern stadium, they were sniffing the playoffs all year, have a huge playoff drought, and yet they averaged a whopping 1,000 more per game.

what the hell is 1,000 more fans per game? less than $2 million a year? that's a drop in the bucket.

how many times did the national media mention their attendance? none.

11. Geoff Peterson says:

Where is Gammons apology for disrespecting a fanbase? Price had to do his Mea Culpa, what about Gammons?

• Drew says:

I'd pay a hundred bucks to see Price bitch out Gammons on Twitter.Also, this twitter account is more accurate: https://twitter.com/pgammons

12. Dave L says:

Did you ever notice?

Whenever you are at a watching baseball analysis on TV, you never see Peter Gammons and the Lucifer on the set at the same time, in the same frame?

I mean nobody ever got a good look or video of the Devil but he's got to be old as dirt like Gammons right? Plus they were both reared before orthodontia became fashinable

It really makes you wonder........