The Rays completed what may go down as one of the worst trades in the Andrew Friedman era when they sent minor leaguers Ben Kline and Sean Bierman to the White Sox, along with cash, to complete the trade for Jesse Crain as first reported by Marc Topkin.
Kline, a utility infielder is not a big prospect. He hit .246 with a .311 OBP, no home runs and no stolen bases in 40 games at single-A. Bierman, a lefty pitcher, is a little better, posting a 2.55 ERA in 18 appearances (14 starts) at single-A, striking out just 68 in 88.1 innings. He did show good control, walking only 14.
In the end, the Rays gave up a decent lefty and some cash for a player that never played a game for the Rays. Also keep in mind the Rays were responsible for the $1.4 million left on Crain’s contract. Normally, insurance would cover a large chunk (80%) of the money paid to Crain since he did not play. However, it is unclear if that would apply in this case since the injury was preexisting.
Remember when everybody was screaming about what an awesome deal that was? Yeah, not so much.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Buster Olney believes the Rangers will be aggressive in their pursuit of David Price. [@Buster_ESPN]
- Steve Melewski of MASN.com does not think the Orioles have a shot at David Price. [MASNSports.com]
- Richard Durrett of ESPN.com doesn’t think the Rangers can get David Price without giving up Jurickson Profar. As we mentioned before, if the total value of packages are equal, I can’t see the Rays trading with the Rangers. The Rays still have Yunel Escobar for two years at a cheap rate and Hak-Ju Lee is not far behind. [ESPN.com]
- Dan Szymbrorski proposes four teams that make sense for David Price and proposes a trade for each team. The story is behind ESPN’s Insider wall, but I will post the four trade proposals below if you are interested in breaking them apart. [ESPN Insider]
- Evan Longoria bought a new house. It is relatively modest (considering his contract) and he paid cash. You can see pictures of the house here. [BI Sports]
- “The First Year Of B.J. Upton’s Huge Free Agency Contract Was A Colossal Bust For The Braves.” [BI Sports]
- The Rays are one team that has apparently not had a fan accuse Buster Olney of being biased against. In fact, of these, the Rays are the only team that fans have accused Buster of being biased for. [TheBigLead]
- Will the Bucs finally win a game? [JoeBucsFan]
Trade proposal: 2B Rougned Odor, 3B Joey Gallo, RHP Connor Sadzeck
Trade proposal: LHP Jesse Biddle, SS Roman Quinn, C Tommy Joseph, RHPEthan Martin
Los Angeles Dodgers
Trade proposal: OF Joc Pederson, RHP Zach Lee, LHP Onelki Garcia
Trade proposal: SS Chris Owings, 3B Matt Davidson, C Stryker Trahan