9-11-2013 10-08-43 PMThe GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.

Red Sox 7, RAYS 3 (boxscore)

THE GOOD: Nothing.

THE BAD: Everything, but mostly the offense. With runners in scoring position and less than 2 outs, the Rays were 1-6 with a walk and a double-play. Yay! *head hits desk*

THE TELLING: Jose Molina will miss at least one game to tend to a family matter…The Rays are now 78-66, 9.5 games behind the Red Sox and just one game ahead of the Yankees in the Wild Card. The good news is that the Rays are still two games up in the loss column.

THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA

• A Red Sox fan was arrested during Tuesday’s game after putting his hands around Raymond’s neck twice. The article doesn’t actually state that he was a Red Sox fan. But it does say that he is from a Boston suburb, was “slurring his words,” and was acting like an idiot. So I added two and two and got “Red Sox fan.” [TampaBay.com]
  • Ken Rosenthal wondered aloud, “what if Royals make the playoffs and the Rays don’t?” [Ken_Rosenthal]
  • Here is a recap of the Durham Bulls’ win last night in the Governor’s Cup championship series. [WDBB]
  • The Yankees will pay $29.1 million in luxury tax this season. [BI Sports]
  • Things are getting ugly for Josh Freeman. No way he finishes the season as the starting quarterback. [JoeBucsFan]

DOWN ON THE FARM

DURHAM 2, Pawtucket 1 (The Bulls are tied 1-1 in their best-of-five championship series). The Bulls fell behind in the third inning when JD Martin gave up two singles, a sac bunt and a ground out. But that was the only run Martin would allow in six innings. Jason Bourgeois then tied the game in the bottom of the sixth when he scored on a 2-out passed ball. A Kevin Kiermaier double in the seventh inning then gave the Bulls the lead for good. CJ Riefenhauser and Kirby Yates combined to throw three shutout innings, allowing just one walk.

Here is the double by Kiermaier…

MONTGOMERY. The Biscuits finished the season 71-69.

CHARLOTTE. The Stone Crabs finished the regular season 67-65. They lost their playoff series 3-0.

BOWLING GREEN. The Hot Rods finished the regular season 82-56. Bowling Green lost their first round playoff series 2-0.

HUDSON VALLEY. The Renegades finished the season 38-37.

PRINCETON. The Rays finished the season 25-43.

Tags

1. Rob says:

The Rays couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat.

2. Josh says:

At this point I will be VERY surprised if we make the playoffs. I love Joe, don't get me wrong but his decisions lately have me dumbfounded to say the least. I don't care what the matchup is and I don't care how bad Joel Peralta looked, there is no way Roberto should be pitching in that spot. And I looked at the statistics and they hardly even favored Roberto. I think the time for Maddon's lackadaisical attitude toward this horrid stretch is over. Or it should be. The clubhouse is TOO loose and no one seem's to keen on getting out of it. There is no fire being lit by Joe. It is a shame because I think we are just about out of this race.

3. Dean says:

Pretty good column on the Rays' woes by Jay Jaffe of SI.com:

• Ken says:

Nice link and an informative article. I do take issue with naming Myers as a culprit of any kind. He's a rookie, with 1 year AAA under his belt. I think he's performed well. Sure he has some work to do in the field but really...I prefer to set my sights on our 100 million dollar man. When a team like the Rays forks out that kind of cash to a player he'd better be able to carry the team on his back for 2-3 weeks at a time. Last time I looked he was striking out (again!!!) with RISP.
      Most telling was the month to month comparison. Most teams have 7-10 game winning streaks during a season. Winning teams have more of those than most. Championship teams play consistently at a 6-10+ level. We are a very mediocre team. Our pitching, as sketchy as it's been, would look a hell of a lot better if we scored more than 2 runs a game for weeks at a time. Fans are on board a ship of fools where the skipper sits back making witty repartee's while sipping vino after a loss. I doubt Giradi and Showalter are so casual.
      Joyce, Rodriguez, KJ, Jennings, Molina, and Scott need to go. Loney will go and that's too bad. Send Maddon too for all I care.
      We have a lot of rebuilding to do, and sadly, no one's willing to pay for it.

4. bbmern says:

What a shame to have Loney tie up the game and then lose again to the Sox. It truly made me sick once again. They stink all the way around. Quit bringing in snakes into the locker room, Joe. Serpents don't help our team...maybe a good sports physiologist and some incense! I'm heading to the game tonight and hope we turn it around. I think I need counseling too!

5. Gus says:

Fitting that the season's low moment (to date) would come on a crushed Hernandez pitch. I never liked him on the team, but I actually thought he'd be good out of the pen. To lose on 3 walks and an HR is painful. Just giving games away.

Of course, the game was lost in the early innings with baserunners stranded all over the place.

Maybe Giminez gets in there and gives them a spark. Longo actually had some decent at bats. Myers should be DH only for now. His play in the OF looks as foolish as his haircut.

Where is the 2% now? Need that in a hurry.

6. angrybuddha says:

Watching these games, then coming to read the Hangover the next morning, is a form of self-flagellation I never thought I'd see myself do. But here I am, commiserating with the rest of you. The good news is that the Rays crash-and-burn has me prepared for whatever shenanigans the Bucs throw at us this year... and the early returns are looking like this season is going to be a shambles of epic hilarity.