Playing A Little Pepper

Wil Myers is in the lineup tonight. That’s the minor surprise. The bigger surprise is that Desmond Jennings is back in center field and leading off…The Rays have also promoted outfielder Kevin Kiermaier from triple-A and placed Jesse Crain back on the 60-day disabled list. Kiermaier hit .295 with a .362 OBP and 21 stolen bases this season, spending time in both double-A and triple-A…Wil Myers was named the AL Rookie of the Month and James Loney won co-Player of the Week…The Rays are one of only two teams to win 90 games each of the last four seasons. The other club is tonight’s opponent, the Rangers.

Game Graph

[Will be up at game time]

Source: FanGraphs

Lineup…

1. Flash Jennings, CF
  2. Wil Myers, RF
  3. Ben Zobrist, 2B
  4. Evan Longoria, 3B
  5. Delmon Young, DH
  6. Sean Rodriguez, LF
  7. James Loney, 1B
  8. Yunel Escobar, SS
  9. Jose Molina, C
  10. David Price, SP

1. Chris D says:

Kiermaier could well be this year’s Fernando Perez. He only stole 21, but he’s faster than that and has really good base running intelligence.

2. Dave L says:

This game could be a Rays-career defining moment for DP.

Can he finally beat the Rangers in a big game?

Facing a young lefty we have no book on scares me. Could Texas have the starting pitching edge even though we have the reigning Cy Young?

I hope not!

3. Gus says:

S-Rod in front of Loney hurts. May he see only fastballs.

But I’m going silver lining. Maybe he will be our Bucky Dent tonight: they both played high school ball in Miami and are handsome devils (Bucky parlayed his Game 163 fame into a TV movie with the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders).

Compare
    1978 Dent (6th MLB season): 5 HR, 40 RBI .243
    2013 S-Rod (6th MLB season): 5 HR, 23 RBI, .249

Just a thought

4. Mr. Smith 1980 says:

Random thoughts:

*I never feel comfortable when the Rays are facing an unknown (or relatively unknown) pitcher. They have a special way of making them all look like Verlander.

*I think we’ll know if Price is gonna control this game by right around pitch number 15.

*As much of a factor as experience is I still think I’d rather see Lobaton behind the plate.

*I hope a few days away helps DJ get his groove back in CF

*I HATE that SRod is starting this game- I hope he proves me wrong.

*Prediction: Longo will now be Mr. 163 with a 2B a HR and a BB

* I CAN’T WAIT!!!

5. Gus says:

Presumably Cruz is getting tested more often as a convicted PED offender. If so, then I fear him not without his magic beans.

He is a guy whose hot streaks in retrospect seem to come associated with PED cycles. He’s an 0-4 tonight if there is any baseball karma.

I’d like the 2010 TB-Tecas playoff series forfeited because of Cruz and his 3 HRS, by the way. Cheating bastard.

6. Sarah says:

Why is Myers in the lineup a minor surprise? Isn’t Perez a lefty? And even if he weren’t, if Maddon were to sit Myers for this all important game and the Rays lost, imagine the blowback!

7. edward williams says:

i like that, cheating bastard, anyway, go rays, i hope we finally can put texas away, not going to be negative, except to say i am tired of hearing how we win 90 games, we don’t get a pennant for that , soooooooooo lets win tonight and beat cleveland and than take it to boston, go rays

8. Rob says:

The one thing I like about SRod starting is that it gives us a reliable lefty off the bench should we need a hit off a righty at a critical moment.

9. Gus says:

Cheating bastard 0 for 4 without the juice. Baseball karma lives!! Great effort by the 27 year old stars Price and Longoria. Congrats to all.

10. Gus says:

DeJesus needs to play every day. He is a lucky charm and super positive out there