Blue Jays 7, RAYS 2 (boxscore)
With one day to go in the regular season, all three teams are still alive in the hunt for the two AL Wild Card spots. Ultimately, there are eight possible scenarios remaining from the 64 that began the weekend (see full list below).
But the most important thing to keep in mind is that if the Rays win, the worst they can do is a play-in game tomorrow and if they lose, there is still a chance for a play-in game on Monday. The only way the Rays can be eliminated is if they lose and the Rangers win.
Let’s start with what happens IF THE RAYS WIN:
- They would be the first Wild Card team and will host the Wild Card game on Wednesday if both Cleveland and the Rangers lose.
- They would be the second Wild Card team and will travel to Cleveland on Wednesday if Cleveland wins and the Rangers lose.
- They would play a play-in game on Monday in Texas if both Texas and Cleveland win.
- If Cleveland loses and the Rangers win, there would be a 3-way tie and the Rays would play in Cleveland tomorrow and the loser of that game would play in Texas on Tuesday.
Now, here is what happens IF THE RAYS LOSE:
- The Rays would be eliminated if the Rangers win, no matter what the Indians do.
- The Rays would play a play-in game in Texas on Monday if the Rangers lose, no matter what the Indians do.
And that’s not even the craziest part. As Marc Topkin pointed out, check out this possible sequence…
- The Rays play in Toronto today. If the Rays win, the Indians lose, and the Rangers win, there would be a 3-way tie.
- The Rays would then have to fly to Cleveland tonight for a game on Monday.
- If the Rays lose that game, they would then fly to Arlington for a game on Tuesday.
- If they win that game, they would then host the AL Wild Card on Monday in St. Pete against the Indians.
- If they win that game, the Rays would then fly to Boston to start the ALDS on Friday.
- 5 games in 5 different cities in 6 days. Fun!
Here is the full list of scenarios that we started with on Friday. Red scenarios are no longer possible (click on image for a larger version)…