We’ve got the highlights you won’t see on SportsCenter…

9-26-2013 8-14-57 PM
Ben Zobrist, one of the most fundamentally sound players in baseball, slid headfirst into first base. Yes, he might have been avoiding a tag or a collision. But the pitcher was running and not sure where the bag is. Is it worth it if Nova steps on Zobrist's hand?
photo
Why yes, Luke Scott does still play for the Rays
9-26-2013 7-06-39 PM
A discussion of George Hendrick and stirrups produces this cool shot of old Yankee Stadium with the monuments in the outfield
photo (2)
If Hot Rod doesn't bunt this ball foul, it would have hit him in the chest
9-26-2013 7-28-30 PM
I'm not entirely sure this guy has a mouth
photo (3)
The game was in New York, so that means it is time to chat with Stu
photo (1)
Delmon Young running hard on a no-doubt home run? It's like I don't even know him anymore.
01 (2)
The Rays won, but the night was about Mariano Rivera, who made his final appearance at Yankee Stadium
Tampa Bay Rays v New York Yankees
Here are the bases used during the game
9-26-2013 8-57-01 PM
After finishing the 8th inning and getting the first 2 outs in the 9th, Andy Pettitte and Derek Jeter came out to pull Rivera
9-26-2013 8-58-01 PM
Rivera was in tears as he embraced Pettitte
9-26-2013 9-00-41 PM
Rivera tipped his cap to the Rays dugout
9-26-2013 9-06-04 PM
The Rays gave Mo a standing ovation
9-26-2013 9-04-31 PM
Rivera had one last curtain call
9-26-2013 9-07-58 PM
This was also Andy Pettitte's final game at Yankee Stadium
9-26-2013 9-13-08 PM
After David Price grabbed some dirt from the mound, Rivera came out and did the same.
181960872
And then the Great Rivera walked off the field for the last time. Or at least until his first old-timers game...

1. Chuck in SoFla says:

That guy without the mouth looks like a human Raymond!!

2. Jay says:

Really cool that the Rays got to be on the field for this — it’s these kind of games that help to form the story and narrative for a fan-base. It just doesn’t happen over 10 – 15 year period.

Tonight I explained to son that the Rays won twice tonight because they won and got to be apart of history and his eyes got all big thinking about how epic a moment it was. It’s like if he wasn’t a Rays fan already, he became one last night.

Just a perfect night all around.

• Rob says:

Great future trivia question – Who was the last person to bat against Mariano Rivera at Yankee Stadium? Yunel Escobar of the TB Rays.

3. Mr. Smith 1980 says:

Staats said it best, “If that didn’t give you goosebumps you’re not alive.” (or something to that effect).

• Sarah says:

I guess I’m not alive. I mostly wanted them just to play baseball.

• Dave L says:

I don’t have a pulse either I guess.

I’m glad they were more concerned with history and less concerned about getting shut out, swept and missing the playoffs.

Now they are forced to choose between losing their best player in his prime or overpaying him ala ARod for the years way past his prime.

I am more interested with getting home field for the wild card game than honoring current Yankees players.