The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
Yankees 3, RAYS 2 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Evan Longoria is HOT. Evan Longoria is blazing, boiling, sizzling. Longoria is HOT. In his last 7 games, Dirtbag is 11-28 with 2 doubles, 5 home runs, and just 3 strikeouts. He also now has 23 career home runs against the Yankees. That is 5 more than anybody else over the same span…David DeJesus. DeJesus went 3-4 from the leadoff spot. Look for him to remain there against right-handed starters.
THE BAD: Missed Opportunnities. The Rays drew 7 walks and 6 came in the first 6 innings. Exactly NONE of those runners scored a run. It didn’t help that the Yankees turned 4 double-plays and the Rays were 0-2 stealing bases…James Loney. Loney went 0-10 in the series and his average is now down to .303. In 28 games since the All-Star break, he is hitting .265 with a .311 OBP…Yunel Escobar. He slid into first base, likely costing himself a basehit. Later he was caught stealing by about 10 feet. And in the 10th inning he went down swinging to start the inning. Not his best game ever.
THE TELLING: Sunday’s game was the third sellout of the season. That is the most for the Rays since 2010 when they had 6…Jason Bourgeois cleared waivers and accepted an assignment to triple-A Durham…Matt Moore will make one rehab start on Thursday and then rejoin the rotation next week…Sunday’s loss was just the third in the last 11 games…In 3 games with double-A Montgomery, Delmon Young is 2-11 with 3 strikeouts and a walk. Both hits were singles…Brandon Guyer is playing again for Durham. But because he as added to the Rays’ active roster (gave Rays some roster flexibility) he is now technically on a rehab assignment and still on the DL…Elliot Johnson was claimed off waivers by the Braves…The Rays are now 74-54. Technically they are 1.0 game behind the Red Sox, but the Rays remain 1 game ahead of the Sox in the loss column. They are also 4 games ahead of the Indians for the second Wild Card spot.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- This is funny. During the intro videos on Friday, the screen just went blank for David DeJesus (thanks, Dave). [Vine]
- Wil Myers will play in Kansas City today for the first time and he is excited. [TampaBay.com]
- As much as $55 million in public money could go towards a new soccer stadium. Also, in a move that I have suggested for the Rays in the past, there was a proposal that the city gain partial ownership of the team in return for the funding. [Shadow of the Stadium]
- Kevin Kiermaier was named the Montgomery Biscuits MVP. [MontgomeryAdvertiser]
- Gabe Kapler penned a column on why he chose not to use steroids even though his career was in decline. [BaseballProspectus]
- How many games will the Bucs win this year? [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
Norfolk 2, DURHAM 0. Mike Montgomery allowed just 1 run in 6 innings. He struck out 6 and walked 3…Tim Beckham went 2-4 with a strikeout. He’s hitting .275.
MONTGOMERY 3, Jacksonville 0. Jacob Thompson tossed 6 shutout innings. He had 1 strikeout and 1 walk…All three runs came via a 3-run home run by Ryan Brett in the 8th inning. He was 2-4…Delmon Young was 0-3 with a walk and a strikeout.
CHARLOTTE 7, Jupiter 6 (11). Richie Shaffer had 4 hits and drove in 4 runs. The final came on a 2-out double in the bottom of the 11th for the walk-off win…Dylan Floro gave up 3 runs in 7 innings. He struck out 2 and walked none…Jeff Malm hit his 14th home run.
BOWLING GREEN 2, Fort Wayne 1. Kevin Brandt struck out 6 and walked 1 in 7 innings. He allowed just 1 run.