The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
Diamondbacks 7, RAYS 0 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Heck of a month. Even with the loss, the Rays went 21-5 in July the third best stretch in July since 1921. Only the 1941 Yankees and the 1945 Cubs had better records in July.
THE BAD: Just one of those nights. Offensively the Rays didn’t have it. They went 0-6 with runners in scoring position and left 9 men on base. On the mound, we had to know that Jeremy Hellickson was due for a stinker. It was the first time in 33 games that a starting pitcher failed to go at least 5 innings…My Bad. It was yesterday morning that I pointed out that it had been a long time since the Rays played a bad game. I’m not proud of that. In fact, last night’s loss was the first by more than 4 runs since June 14, a span of 41 games! It was just the 5th loss all season by at least 7 runs and it was just the 5th time all season the Rays have been shut out.
THE TELLING: It looks like Evan Longoria is cutting his own hair again (above)…Today is the first of 4 off-days in the next 2 weeks…With the $2 kids tickets last night’s attendance was a huge 25,095…The Rays fell out of first place and are now 64-44, a half-game behind the Red Sox and 5.0 games ahead of the Rangers for the second Wild Card spot.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- There is no structural damage in Matt Moore’s elbow. Andrew Friedman says both Moore and Alex Cobb may return in mid-August. [TampaBay.com]
- Carlos Pena has been released by the Astros. [MLBTR]
- Andrew Friedman described the trade deadline as “frenzied” and said they were looking to add depth. But ultimately, the only move they made was the Jesse Crain trade. [TBO.com]
- The Rays are paying just $0.6 million per win this season. The Yankees are paying $2.72 million. [BI Sports]
- A member of the Rays’ medical staff is wearing a patch for Dr. Lewis Yocum, the Angels’ team doctor for 36 years that recently passed away. [IMAGE] The patch is being worn by numerous players and staff members around the league. [Uni-Watch]
- Sam Fuld was one of several big leaguers that did a video reciting lines from “The Sandlot.” [MLB Fan Cave]
- The Rays’ ball boy won the night on Tuesday. [BI Sports]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
DURHAM 6, Toledo 3. Matt Buschmann struck out 8 in 6 innings but gave up 3 runs on 8 hits and 3 walks. His ERA is now 3.36…Tim Beckham batted third and went 1-4…Leslie Anderson was 3-4 with a double…Vince Belnome had 2 more hits and a walk. He’s hitting .320.
MONTGOMERY 3, Mississippi 2. Jacob Thompson allowed 2 runs in 7 innings…Mikie Mahtook was 2-5 with a double. He also stole his 19th base.
CHARLOTTE @ Lakeland. postponed
BOWLING GREEN 5, Dayton 0. Dylan Floro improved to 9-2 with a 1.56 ERA with 7 shutout innings. He struck out 3 and walked 1…Justin O’Conner went 2-5 with his 11th home run.