The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
Diamondbacks 6, RAYS 1 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Evan Longoria. The rest of the offense has suddenly gone ice-cold, so there is more pressure for Longo to get hot. His struggles were fine when the starting pitching was dominating and Wil Myers was going nuts at the plate. But now the offense is struggling to score runs, Matt Moore is on the DL and Jeremy Hellickson can’t get out of his own way. That’s why it was great to see Longo hit his 22nd home run last night, even if it was wasted in a horrible game.
THE BAD: The Rest of the Offense. All of a sudden the offense has gone cold. The Rays have lost 3 of their last 5 games. And in those 5 games the Rays scored just 8 runs and 33 hits…Jeremy Hellickson. Another bad start by Hellickson and it appeared from the beginning that the Diamondbacks had the perfect gameplan. That is, for the most part they laid off the changeup. Of the 23 changeups thrown by Hellickson, Arizona didn’t swing at nine of them and only twice did they swing-and-miss. Hellickson is going to live and die by the changeup. If that is not working, we see nights like last night…Ryan Roberts. 0-3 with 3 strikeouts. Yuck. And twice he struck out to end an inning with runners on base.
THE TELLING: Matt Moore could throw his first bullpen session as early as Saturday…Desmond Jennings is not expected to miss more than 15 days on the DL. In his absence, up to 5 different players could see time in center field depending on matchups…The Rays are now 66-46, 1.5 games behind the Red Sox and 4.5 games ahead of the Indians for the second Wild Card.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Some think Bill Foster’s sudden change of heart is just a bluff to show that a deal won’t be any better in Tampa. That thought did occur to me, but man, that is a risky play. Ken Hagan is already forming a committee to begin talks with the Rays. [TBO.com]
- Of course, everybody wants to know where the money will come from. A land-use lawyer in Tampa estimated that a new stadium would cost between $492 million (for something basic) to $608 million (for something similar to what other teams are building). [TampaBay.com]
- And here is a roundup of the reaction to the new stadium news. [Shadow of the Stadium]
- “Raul Ibanez’s horrible throw and 7 other must-see moments from last night’s baseball action.” [BI Sports]
- Here is a closer look at Alex Rodriguez’s power rates throughout his career. Either steroids had no impact or he was using them almost his entire career. [BI Sports]
- Happy Birthday, Joe! [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
Here’s a double by Tim Beckham from a couple of days ago. This kid is suddenly fun to watch…
MONTGOMERY 3, Chattanooga 1. Enny Romero allowed just 1 run in 7 innings on 3 hits and 3 walks. He struck out just 2…Mikie Mahtook went 2-5 and is hitting .243…Ryan Brett went 3-5 and now has 5 hits in his first 3 games since being promoted to double-A.
CHARLOTTE. no game scheduled
BOWLING GREEN 9, South Bend 8. Dylan Floro had one of his worst starts of the year, giving up 7 runs (4 earned) in 5.2 innings. His ERA is still just 1.81 in 19 starts…Tyler Goeddel hit his 6th home run.