The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
Angels 6, RAYS 5 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Jose Molina. 3-4 with 2 doubles and 3 RBI. You take those from Molina when you can get them. It was just too bad it got wasted last night.
THE BAD: Desmond Jennings and the Middle Infielders. Desmond Jennings has to catch that flair in the 9th inning. But making matters worse, nobody was covering second base and the eventual go-ahead run moved up to second. Both runners would then score on the double by Erick Aybar…Fernando Rodney. Sometimes there is a sense that Rodney is easily deflated. That is, he loses his edge when things start to unravel. The fastball to Aybar on the go-ahead hit was 99 mph, so he didn’t let up. But his body language always seems off once he starts giving up base runners. I’m probably reading too much into that, but Rodney has always been one with a fragile personality. Joe Maddon recognized this early on and has gone out of his way to make Rodney feel loved. That is hard to do from the dugout in the middle of a 9th inning meltdown…Getting Nobody In. The rays left 9 runners on base in the first 4 innings and 12 runners in the first 6 innings. That is not easy to do.
THE TELLING: Jake Odorizzi will be called up on Thursday to start the afternoon game. David Price will now start Friday…The Rays are now 74-56, 2.5 games behind the Red Sox and 3.5 games ahead of the Indians for the second Wild Card.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Like many teams, the Rays are placing all of their players on waivers just to see who will clear and who would be claimed. Any player that is claimed can be pulled back without risk. [MLBTR]
- Joe Maddon says he is not worried about Wil Myers and that “it’s just that he’s missing his pitch right now.” [TBO.com]
- Losing in MLB can be quite profitable. [BI Sports]
- College football season starts tomorrow. A lot of teams have new (and crazy) uniforms. Here’s a rundown. [BI Sports]
- IS JOSH FREEMAN GETTING ENOUGH SNAPS!? [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
DURHAM 13, Charlotte 6. Matt Buschmann allowed 3 runs in 5 innings. He struck out 3…Tim Beckham went 3-5 with a double and a walk. He’s hitting .277. He also stole his 16th and 17th bases…Brandon Guyer went 3-5 with a double.
MONTGOMERY 8, Jacksonville 6. Marquis Fleming struck out 8 and walked none in 5.2 innings. He gave up 3 runs…Shawn O’Malley went 3-4 with an RBI…Delmon Young was 2-5 with an RBI.
St. Lucie 4, CHARLOTTE 2. Grayson Garvin gave up 4 runs (all unearned) in 3.2 innings…Willie Argo was 2-4 with 2 home runs, his 3rd and 4th.
BOWLING GREEN. no game scheduled