The GBT – The Good, The Bad and The Telling sandwich, where The Bad is nice and lean and the The Telling is ripe.
RAYS 4, Angels 1 (boxscore)
THE GOOD: Big Tree. The Rays are now 10-3 in Chris Archer’s last 13 starts and they are 3-0 in his 3 starts since he declared that Trees just need some weather to grow. In the last 21 games, Rays starting pitchers have worked 7+ innings just 5 times. Two of those were by David Price and three were by Chris Archer. When Price eventually leaves for richer pastures, Matt Moore, Alex Cobb, and Big Tree are going to ease that pain…David DeJesus. In his first 5 games with the Rays, DeJesus has 7 hits with 2 walks and he is 6-11 in the 3 games when he was the leadoff hitter…Fernando Rodney. Jose Lobaton just missed a home run in the bottom of the 8th that would have extended the lead to 4 runs. There was some speculation that Jamey Wright would have come in if that happened. But I wonder if Joe Maddon would have still brought Rodney in after what happened the night before to get him an easy outing. On the other hand, does Rodney need some rest? And would Rodney have been as amped without a save on the line? Either way, he did come in with the 3-run lead and the 1-2-3 9th inning was nice to see.
THE BAD: Jesse Crain. We mentioned this in the Tailgating post, but it sounds like Crain is no closer to joining the Rays. When the trade was made I was a little perplexed about how excited everybody was. There were even non-Rays fans declaring “The Rays just won the division!” There were some legit red flags as Crain had just suffered a setback a few days before the trade and there was no guarantee that he would ever pitch for the Rays. And now that is looking like a reality.
THE TELLING: Luke Scott went 1-4 with Durham in his first rehab assignment game…Matt Moore will make a rehab start for the Durham Bulls tonight…The Rays released Cory Wade from their triple-A roster…The Rays sent Jeff Beliveau back to Durham to make room for Jake Odorizzi who will start today’s game…The Rays are now 75-56, 2.5 games behind the Red Sox and 4.5 games ahead of the Indians for the second Wild Card spot. According to CoolStandings.com, the Rays have a 77.9% chance of making the playoffs, but only a 21.0% chance of winning the division.
THE JUNKYARD DOGS WEBTOPIA…
- Stuart Sternberg and Matt Silverman recently met with Tampa business leaders on Wednesday. [TBO.com]
- The Rays need a new closer? Umm, OK. [USA Today]
- Well, Gary Shelton has no confidence in Fernando Rodney either. The funny thing about this column is that it looks like Shelton had to make some edits after Rodney’s perfect 9th inning last night as most of this was likely written before Rodney came into the game and after he imploded the night before. [TampaBay.com]
- The Royals have a cup at Kaufmann Stadium that includes a picture of James Shields from his days with the Rays, photoshopped into a Royals uniform [Photo] [via Uni-watch]
- Elliot Johnson did a postgame interview pretending to be a NASCAR driver. [MLB GIFs]
- The MLB Network has hired a host for a new show that once had one of the all-time great sports radio rants. [BI Sports]
- Darrelle Revis and Richard Sherman are feuding. [JoeBucsFan]
DOWN ON THE FARM…
DURHAM 5, Gwinnett 1. JD Martin, the IL’s pitcher of the year, allowed 1 run in 7.1 innings for his 16th win. He struck out 4 and walked none…Tim Beckham went 4-6 with a double and a home run, his 4th…Luke Scott went 1-4 with a walk.
MONTGOMERY. no game scheduled.
St. Lucie 2, CHARLOTTE 1 (10). Jacob Partridge allowed just 1 unearned run in 4 innings. He struck out 3…Richie Shaffer had 1 of the Stone Crabs’ 3 hits.
BOWLING GREEN 4, South Bend 1. Jedd Ames held South Bend to 1 run in 5 innings on 3 hits and 2 walks. The lone run came on a solo home run. His ERA is now 2.98…Andrew Toles was 1-4 and was caught stealing in his only attempt.